Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pyro drysuit taking on water

Forum for kitesurfers
Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Arcsrule » Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:45 pm

most of the mosture in side the drysuit is due to sweating. and yes they are making drysuits out of goretex and have been for many years. the goretex allows the suit to breathe and will let the moisture out but not let the water in. if you burp your suit good before going in the water chances are you won't take on any. or you can walk out in the water to neck deep and purp it. that shouold get all the air out. as for a body bag full of water :roll: take a 5 gallon bucket and submerge it. you can lift it up from 100 ft down and feel nothing until it comes clear of the water surface. then it gets heavy.

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Water in the Pyro

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:51 pm

Only time I got water in mine (and I had some nasty drags in 25kts) was when I mistakenly tucked the neoprene socks I wear under the leg/ankle seals at each foot. Water got in that day. Since then, I never did that and I've been dry (except for the "dusting" of sweat). I pull it over my jeans, sweaters, sweatpants, anything and never get water. Just make sure your zipper is all the way shut. Those ankle seals are tight, too.

I even wear my PFD on the outside of the suit which they don't recommend, but whatever, the suit is awesome. I know 5 guys that wear 'em all the time and no one gets water up here.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:17 pm

hey chicago, why do they say not to wear a pfd over a drysuit? i wear mine all the time, but if there's a reason against it that i'm not aware of i'd like to know...

pitlisa
Frequent Poster

Postby pitlisa » Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:38 pm

What the hell does that mean: a PFD

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:56 pm

Hi,,
Im the one who mentioned body bag,,it was years ago,, in the age of
w-surf, in the last millenium, got a shit load of water in the suit,,was mega cold,and could not get up on my rig by water-sarting just to friggin heavy as I went from in the soup to out of the soup,,I'd just stop dead,,plenty wind but no way in hell to launch,,barely climbed on top o my board,,sinker 85 ltr,,took a coons age to drain enough water out,,that was the end of dry-suits fo fo, in kiting you would maybe be out of luck,,Im not gonna find out!
fokiten

PS Im sure the suits are better now,,,
and they do make a gortex suit,,pricey at 600,,usa bucks

PDF=personnal floatation devise

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:07 pm

If your wetsuit popped and you are too heavy to get up and planing, just body drag back to the beach. Rescuing yourself with kite should actually be easier than dealing with a big windsurfer.

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

PFD over the Pyro

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:23 pm

Due to the zipper. It could bend or constrict the zipper. I do it anyway (wear the PFD over the pyro). It doesn't seem to matter...great suit!

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

snus280
Medium Poster

Postby snus280 » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:58 am

Dwight hit the nail right on the head. You will always have considerable perspiration in the suit, synthetic underware greatley increases comfort as opposed to cotton or wool. like wetstuff said, tension on neck, wrist and ankle seals will case leaking, tuck the wrist and ankle seals up into the sleeves and pull neck seal close to the base of your neck. "burp" the air out of the suit so you are like a vacuum sealed beef jerky and you should be in good shape, if not, you may need to get smaller seals installed or stick coffe cans in all seals inflate suit and check for leaks with soapy water
also be sure that your harness is not pulling down your back and neck, pull as much of your suit out both above and below your harness.
hope you get it sorted out
Chris

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:09 am

so when is a dry suit not a dry suit, pretty much all the time it seams.

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:53 pm

The pyros are great...no complaints about them.

http://www.chicagokiteboarder.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”