Forum for kitesurfers
Radical Ronnie
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Toro2 vs. Rhino2 (16m2)

Postby Radical Ronnie » Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:52 pm

I already ordered a Rhino2 16, but still had to wait a few weeks... After reading all positive news about the Toro2 I really got confused...
Fortunately my home-kite-dealer together with the Dutch importer of North kites were willing to arrange a (free!) test session for me. Last saturday it was D-Day!

I have posted my experiences in the dedicated 'user-review area' of http://www.kite-surf.com.

For myself it's clear: I'll stick to my Rhino2 order, it's the perfect kite for me!

The only additional advice I can give you is: Try to test the material before you buy it!!! :thumb:

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:46 pm

oh man. This is going to be so hard for me to decide with which kite to go for :superfly: I was willing to go for Toro2, but after your statements I'm totally confused. One says one thing and another alomost the opposite.

But one thing is sure, there's gonna be a lot of discussion about this particular topic, so prepare to take cover Radical Ronnie :wink:

BTW, how did your dealers react to your findings and what are their opinions? Really curious to know.

Take care.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:37 pm

Hello Uli,

I'm a teamrider for North Benelux and yes both kites are very different.
But i don't agree with rad. ron. entirely. The T2 is way faster than last years kites and is faster and lighter to steer than the R2. It really is a fast kite. It has a big wind range, upwind abilty is very good (it goes really to the edge of the window) , the lift is not so extreme as the R2 but it does have a nice hangtime.
Main difference with the R2 is the way you depower the kite. The R2 really has a lot of low end power and is depowered through the edge of your board. This takes some getting used to. What i'm saying is that you need more board control when using a R2.
Make your decision based on your riding skill and what you want from a kite.
North Rules

Beev

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:39 am

Fly the Toro2 16 on the rear POWER pigtail, then get back to me. In the 16m size only, the Toro2 blows away the Rhino2. Spend more time testing them. I been flying both for a long time.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:25 am

Anonymous wrote:Hello Uli,

I'm a teamrider for North Benelux and yes both kites are very different.
But i don't agree with rad. ron. entirely. The T2 is way faster than last years kites and is faster and lighter to steer than the R2. It really is a fast kite. It has a big wind range, upwind abilty is very good (it goes really to the edge of the window) , the lift is not so extreme as the R2 but it does have a nice hangtime.
Main difference with the R2 is the way you depower the kite. The R2 really has a lot of low end power and is depowered through the edge of your board. This takes some getting used to. What i'm saying is that you need more board control when using a R2.
Make your decision based on your riding skill and what you want from a kite.
North Rules

Beev
To add to this, I've been told Jaime Herriaz prefers the Toro2 16 for wave riding, and the Rhino2 16 for FLAT water boosting. That should give you additional clues.

Radical Ronnie
Rare Poster

Toro2 vs. Rhino2 (16m2)

Postby Radical Ronnie » Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:07 am

Hi there!

A lot of reactions overnight . . . :lol:

Uli - Like I said: Have a test-ride! My dealer also had a test-ride and agreed with me and the importer understood my choice, so no problem there...

I totally agree with Beev's reaction: Your decision should always be based on your personal skills.

And, yes Dwight, I only had a brief session with the kites and may be flying them a longer time or using the other attachment points, makes a difference...

The general problem here is that it is so difficult to make the right choice, especially when the only source of information comes from the promising flyers of the different brands. They all promise you the best kite in the world!!! That's why I appreciate this forum so much! It can be very helpful in making your choice, thanks to all people sharing their (unbiased) experiences! :thumb:

But you cannot avoid that people will have different feelings about the same product. This difference can be based on relevant reasons like personal skills, body-weight, etc. or totally irrelevant ones like the color, or the 'nice&trendy' brand and so on... :cry:

Let the winds be with you!

Baloo
Rare Poster

Rhino 2 14 and 20

Postby Baloo » Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:14 pm

I haven't ridden the 16m R2 or the Toro2 but can safely say that the characteristics of the R2 as above are very true. The R2 is for riders that can handle/like to ride ver powered IMHO. It's not for beginners at all as they would wonder what the depower strap and chicken loop are for and they would get spanked ... hard .... !!! Having said that if you enjoy power like this (I do) you'll love these kites - I found that both the 20 and 14 move quickly, have bags of power, huge lift and complement each other very well in sizing terms. It does help that I'm 96KG as I can hold down a lot of kite. Its also very true that you have to be willing to ride the kite low to the water and up hard on the edge, but this is the best way to ride really powered anyway! Also IMHO these have to be very very different kites otherwise why release 2 different kites? It's up to you to find the kite that will suit your style but I would bet that the kite will always be capable of more than the rider... Like the man says, try before you buy.... All I need to do now is get a 10m for really windy days.... sponsored riders cast offs accepted :wink:

:thumb:

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Toro2 vs. Rhino2 (16m2)

Postby Dwight » Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:05 pm

Radical Ronnie wrote:Hi there!

And, yes Dwight, I only had a brief session with the kites and may be flying them a longer time or using the other attachment points, makes a difference...
Unfortunately, I think a lot of people will make the mistake you did. It's natural to connect to the front point. On this kite, few people will know, or understand, how significant the difference is without someone telling them. I hope future Toro2 owners read this and spread the news. Fly the kite on the POWER pigtail first. Then if you can't handle the power, detune the kite for less performance to match your skills or body weight.

The difference is like what you felt on the Rhino2. You get way :!: more lift and hang time. I go higher on the Toro2 16, not contest :!:

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:00 pm

where is the power pigtail....leading or trailing edge??

greet twan

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:14 pm

Leading Edge

Return to “Kitesurfing”