Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Custom 'Dream' Bar with Stock Parts

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Custom 'Dream' Bar with Stock Parts

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:17 pm

Since bars have become such a hot topic lately, it seems to me the thing to do is to purchase the bar separately from the kite. So taking the best features from each company to build your own custom bar. And I know the argument about shackles not suited for dynamic load release but adding a QR will solve that problem, right? Having said all this, and I’m taking this from reading the forum, the choice for this 4-line chicken loop custom bar with stock parts:

Wichard 2673 shackle
QR by Wipika
Cabrinha Powerlock Bar
Airush Adjustable Strap
O’shit grab handle by NSI or spinning leash by Naish

Looks like a potential problem with combining the Wipika QR with the Cabrinha powerlock system. Any suggestions to building this custom ‘dream’ bar?

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:06 pm

why would you want a wipika QR and a wichard-shackle?
that's just taking up space u could use for depower.
on my bar i use with a wichard shackle, i have the chickenloop replaced by a small ring to regain the space the shackle is taking. . .

i think it's possible to upgrade a rope to fit the powerlock system.
i don't know how cabrinha fits that ball to the depower, but i've seen several ropes break at that very point.
maybe it's even better if you have a close look on that system and just copy it on another bar, for example the nsi longhorn.

Steve
Rare Poster

Postby Steve » Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:45 pm

One of the benefits I have found from the powerlock bar is that I no longer need a shackle, because I mainly needed the shackle most when getting in and out of the fixed loop. With that loop gone the loop doesn't fall out of the standard hook. I modified the powerlock by removing the adjustment strap and replacing it with the clamcleat cobra, because cleats rule. Since I no longer use a shackle the Cabrinha Q.R. on the chicken loop works fine. For the leash I removed the floats and put a ring down low so I can attach the leash to a spreader bar with a spinning leash option, such as the rotorbar or you could put on an OS loop I suppose.

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:51 pm

add the punchout part from the Ocean Rodeo bar and your sorted!!

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:22 pm

Or just buy yourself a stage 2 bar. Save the hassle.

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Custom 'Dream' Bar with Stock Parts

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:18 am

"Dorian" wrote:
O’shit grab handle by NSI or spinning leash by Naish
... Any suggestions to building this custom ‘dream’ bar?
Yes. I'd "suggest" avoiding the use of an (anti) "grab" handle as a primary leash (okay as a backup in case of primary leash failure). Several riders have reported their inability to actually grab it in a real emergency, resulting in a runaway kite, which could get us all banned.
"murdoc" wrote:
why would you want a wipika QR and a wichard-shackle?
So the QR can release you FROM the leash, in the event of depowering failure, power boat catching kite, or other such catastrophe.

Mel

Return to “Kitesurfing”