Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

ss drake coming apart on edge

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ss drake coming apart on edge

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:56 am

anypone had a problem with their ss drake delaminating on the edge? if so did slingshot do anything about it?

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:35 am

never hear d of any slingshot board do that. did you sand the edge off or anything? did you buy it board new?

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:40 pm

i did nothing to the board

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:36 pm

a picture would tell a 1000 words...

Alf
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Alf » Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:40 pm

Friend of mine had that happen with last years SS. The bottom at one end was totally loose (the board stopped when he went that way, the bottom folded over), up to the point where the finholes are. The SS importer glued it back on and he used the board since without problems. And he kites a lot, he used it in the national champs no problem.

So put some epoxy on/in it, then you can use it

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:56 pm

epoxy does not bond well to ultra high molecular weight polyethylene, UHMWP, which is what the slingshot base is made of.

you need a specific binary glue which is available from 3M or more easily from your slingshot importer. its the same stuff they use in ski repair shops to stick patches of p-tex to the base of your skis/ board.

'''standard''' epoxy will just f-ck it up.

Alf
Frequent Poster

Postby Alf » Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:21 am

The UHMWP is on the outside, not on the inside of the laminate. On the separated bottom there was still some thin foam left, so what they basically did was glueing the foam together again.

BTW. does anybody know what type of foam they use in SS boards ?? It is grey, and quite hard.

grtz,
Dènis

P.S. If needed, I can mail the importer which kind of glue he exactly used, but my friend said he used epoxy.

ldzielak
Rare Poster

Postby ldzielak » Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:26 am

Anyone install a wake style binfing on a Drake or SS board? I would like to loose my straps but not sure how big a mess I'm in for.

Thanks

Lee

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:53 pm

I'm pretty sure slinshot uses divinycell foam. The LFT I took a look at had green foam visible in the fin screw holes. I think the green is H80 and the grey is H100 but I am not certain.

As for the uhmwp, p-tex and durasurf (brand names) are treated on one side for bonding with epoxy. It doesn't make sense to use multiple adhesives in a layup when one will do the job, especially in a production environment.

Return to “Kitesurfing”