Forum for kitesurfers
tracstarr
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

drysuite flotation

Postby tracstarr » Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:56 am

just curious to know how many people are relying on only the flotation that a drysuite offeres when necessary vs also wearing a pfd. aside from the case where you may become a sea anchor from a tear, what are the opinions on the saftey of only drysuite flotation. is it enough? any specific references for pyro suits would be great.

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:31 am

I always use a PFD aswell, a tear will not cause you to anchor, as when the suit fills, you have the same weight as the water around you. try it in warm water, open your suit.

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:31 am

warm shallo water where there is no risk of you floating away !

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:28 am

what pfd are you using? i'm definatly considering one, but some input would be great.

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:37 am

If you want plenty of flotation take a look at kayaking pfds. The one I am using is a pullover model, i think it was made by Extrasport or something like that. Usually they are cut high enough that there is very little to no interference with the harness.

The downside of kayak vests is that that they are a little bit bulky and not so great for swimming. I like the extra flotation they give over an impact vest in freshwater. For saltwater you may be better off with an impact vest, since they are easier to swim in and provide as much floatation. In saltwater you might not need so much flotation.

Flyboy II
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Drysuit flotation

Postby Flyboy II » Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:49 pm

Same as NA; bright yellow roll-bottom kayak vest. I think it is less restrictive then a neoprene impact vest, and between the pile, air, suit and multi multi segmented PFD it's a lot of impact protection.

The mobility is great and the bottom stays well clear of the spreader bar and hook (seat harness) which is always sliding down the slick nylon toward my knees. Must be my body shape.

The first time out each season or after new seals I always wear my 5/4 semidry instead of pile in case of a major leak.

BTW,
I am still using the same drysuit I bought for windsurfing 18 years ago (this seems ancient, but it still looks new. I am very, very careful to keep it in an upstairs closet away from exhaust fumes, ozone and sunlight to protect the seals and uerothane?). No preservatives or sprays except for the zipper. And I glued gloves and latex booties in to stop the $40/pair seal replacement routine and leaks.

Scott

Return to “Kitesurfing”