Forum for kitesurfers
MrBonk
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Well goddammit.....I have a perforated eardrum :(

Postby MrBonk » Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:26 am

Shit. After my fantastic day on the water yesterday (which I posted about), it turns out that I do, in fact, have a hole in my eardrum :( Goddam :cry: Just when I start to get a handle on this kiting stuff, they tell me I need to stay outta the sea water for 3 to 4 weeks while it heals. f*** me.....I *am* cursed. It's official. First, I buy a kite and the wind vanishes for weeks. Then, because the kite I got is big, the wind comes back at 25 goddam knots. I finally get a day with excellent conditions and what do I do? I go and land on the side of my fucking head and bust my eardrum.......honestly......wtf is wrong with this picture?? I'll just nip out the back and shoot myself now......

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:17 pm

get used to the cursed feeling. but when everything is good, it is incredible.

you think you got it bad, this is what has happened to me in the last year and a 3 months:

lost my job
couldn't afford more that one rag of an old kite
due to financial problems, lost my wife
went 4 months with no wind
first day of wind, hurt my back which resulted in 2 months of physical thearapy
every day I have kited since, I deal with back pain

dude, you got it good. things could be worse!

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:27 pm

everyone's cursed - that happens with a highly addictive extreme sport that depends on natures goodwill.

tennis elbows, broken wrist, material damage and nothing to replace because of unavaillability (back in 2000). . .
some weeks off the water for some reason and you think of suicide - perfecty normal.

the thing that keeps me sane: i don't know if i can kite in the afterlife.
that's too much of a risk - it could be eternal, so suicide is not an option.

dude - you're freshly hooked up - it'll get worse.

ZenWind
Frequent Poster

Postby ZenWind » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:39 pm

Still don't see the need to stay off the water with only an eardrum being jacked up. Put a wax ear plug in that ear, and wear a Gath helmet. Remember to close off the ear holes on the helmet by rotating the ear piece. You got to get your priorities straight dude, as this is only a small bump in the road to a life taken over by waiting for the next kiting fix.

MrBonk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MrBonk » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:32 am

ZenWind wrote:Still don't see the need to stay off the water with only an eardrum being jacked up. Put a wax ear plug in that ear, and wear a Gath helmet. Remember to close off the ear holes on the helmet by rotating the ear piece. You got to get your priorities straight dude, as this is only a small bump in the road to a life taken over by waiting for the next kiting fix.
Apparently, the risk is in getting sea water through the hole and into the inner ear bits......infection, leading to possible permanent damage. I asked him if it was ok to wear an ear plug, but he said no :( Too much chance of water getting past it. I'm not prepared to take the risk anyway. Ah well.....I'll just wait it out and get back into it when I can. No point worrying about it now :)

MrBonk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MrBonk » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:36 am

Anonymous wrote:get used to the cursed feeling. but when everything is good, it is incredible.

you think you got it bad, this is what has happened to me in the last year and a 3 months:

lost my job
couldn't afford more that one rag of an old kite
due to financial problems, lost my wife
went 4 months with no wind
first day of wind, hurt my back which resulted in 2 months of physical thearapy
every day I have kited since, I deal with back pain

dude, you got it good. things could be worse!
Shit man......I'll stop complaining now!! It's easy to forget that others may have things a lot worse isn't it.

MrBonk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MrBonk » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:38 am

murdoc wrote:everyone's cursed - that happens with a highly addictive extreme sport that depends on natures goodwill.

tennis elbows, broken wrist, material damage and nothing to replace because of unavaillability (back in 2000). . .
some weeks off the water for some reason and you think of suicide - perfecty normal.

the thing that keeps me sane: i don't know if i can kite in the afterlife.
that's too much of a risk - it could be eternal, so suicide is not an option.

dude - you're freshly hooked up - it'll get worse.
It's ok.....there won't ever be any thoughts of suicide here.....that was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek. I just needed to have a bit of a vent.....I'm fine now. I'll just wait it out and get back in the water as soon as I can :thumb:

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:39 am

traig trumbo put ear wax and plugs, and then duct tape over his ears, that worked for him, send him a pm, he is on this forum

MrBonk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MrBonk » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:18 am

My god......you'd be amazed at some of the suggestions I've received from my workmates today. I'm starting to really wonder about the mental stability (or lack thereof...) of some of these guys.......

#1 - Fill my ear up with Silastic (silicon type sealer).
#2 - Poke a jaffa down the hole (what I'm supposed to do when it turns to chocolatey goo is anyone's guess).
#3 - Get my wife to melt candle wax into my ear to plug it up (ouch!!).
#4 - Superglue a biro lid in the hole.
#5 - Seal a plastic bag over my head (more than one person suggested this actually......*sigh*).

Dickheads :roll:

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:36 am

I told you that you would have nothing but problems !!

Return to “Kitesurfing”