Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why don’t you wear safety equipment?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:59 am

what a beautiful fucking momment!!!
you know why you people need safety equipment?
because you are all a bunch of pathetic winers!!!!
followers the lot of you!

R
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby R » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:07 am

I do a bit of swimming instructing and I think a part of being safe in the water IS the ability to save yourself if you can't relaunch the kite, hell, half the struggle of relaunching is being able to menouvre yourself around in the water to get the kite to do as you want. I'd hate to have to relaunch a kite in deep water if I couldn't swim properly. So maybe instead of saying not don't go further from shore than your prepared to swim but don't go further from shore than you KNOW your ABLE to swim.

If you are not familiar with breaststroke or survival backstoke or atleast skulling you should begin in a nice warm pool and master one of these strokes as they might just save your life. They use bugger all energy and can be performed properly with your head out of the water. You'll find with freestyle if you swim with your head out of the water your legs will sink and you'll become exhausted very quickly.

Once again these safety issues come down to common sense. If there are people around or other kiters, use a kite saftey at a minumum. If you feel there is a danger to your coconut, use a helmet. If you haven't got enough experience to know if you should be using a helmet or PFD in some conditions, ALWAYS use a helmet and perhaps a PFD. Generally a wetsuit will provide you with plenty of bouyancy. If winds are offshore (newbies sometimes will try anything) I don't recommend a PFD as if you put the kite down you can be dragged out quite quickly by the kite (with or without a PFD I know but quicker with a PFD) and you can be surprised at how far you'll have to swim in in a very short period.

Always ask questions. It maybe better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt but I'd much rather be known as a fool than that guy who died learning to kitesurf.

Hope this helps someone - learn to swim. :thumb:

MrBonk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MrBonk » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:39 am

Anonymous wrote:what a beautiful fucking momment!!!
you know why you people need safety equipment?
because you are all a bunch of pathetic winers!!!!
followers the lot of you!
BWAHAHAHAHA!! Oh dear.......someone who has trouble with basic spelling, calling us pathetic :roll: Now that's rich :D

How did you find your way here? Did mummy accidentally leave the internet connected again? Best you have your milk and cookies and toddle off to bed now, there's a good lad :thumb:

MrBonk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MrBonk » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:45 am

Anonymous wrote:To mr Shag
You gave mr Bonk shit for asking about wet suits , I have been playing in water for 30 years and could swim 5km when I was 10 ( and still can )and I think his question was fair and valid . He lives in a warm climate , where you don't want to be wearing too much .
Knowing exactly what I would need here (Perth), I have no idea what would be suitable over there , asking seems logical .
Don't let these guys bother you mr Bonk , they only drag down others to not feel so inadequate about there own short comings .
Good to see you living your life rather than offering others advice how to live thiers .
MikeN
Nah, I'm used to it by now. I've got a few other hobbies, for which I post to some other forums. There's always someone around who can't help but give everyone shit. They normally come and go.....most don't last long because eventually no-one will talk to them :) Fortunately, you have to register to post on the other forums.....would be a good plan here I reckon. Would likely weed out the usual anon keyboard-warriors. Even if it didn't, at least you'd be able to see what their posting history was like so you could better decide if you wanna ignore them or not.

Return to “Kitesurfing”