Forum for kitesurfers
Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:48 pm

Thanks Roberto: From now on I will definately be doing just that
If its blowing hard, over 15-20, I always use the kite leash.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:19 am

interesting stuff jo.
being a relative newbie to all this lei stuff.....

i have a rear line ring-ring re-ride set up on my kite at current, and i always switch it from left line to right line depending on the wind direction so that it always goes flat out when depolyed with the kite on the beach side rather than the water side.

nothing of stellar importance but it takes 20 seconds to switch the line over and i feel way safer like this.

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Mon Apr 07, 2003 1:20 am

"robertovillate" wrote:
Your experience also brings into question the location of the QR device. The Ocean Rodeo bar seems to have addressed this issue, however once "punched out" you're powered to the max.
But then you just drop the bar.

Somebody suggested adding a wrist-activated release (a line from the release mechanism to your wrist) which can be easily unclipped from your wrist (once well away from shore) & clipped to the side of your harness. I suggested it would be really cool if it could be clipped to the harness in such a way to act as a "always-in-the-same-place" release line. I'm seriously considering adding something like this, after a recent personal incident*, since the longest O.R. bar is "only" 60cm, & I use the whole throw of my 75cm bar.

*Wind went to 5-25mph (according to the iwindsurf.com anemometer) while I was riding, but I didn't think it was THAT bad, because I'm not fully familar with my new Guerilla's phenomenal gust-handling, so when I stopped on the beach the kite luffed BAD, drifting straight into the power zone & popping open dead downwind headed sideways just above the surface. I got dragged 10' (according to a witness - felt more like 30!) before I got my release activated, & in those 10' my ankle-bone found one of the few rocks buried in the sand. Nasty gouge hurt like hell. Had to take Tylenol just to get to sleep, but even though the bleeding which hadn't fully stopped by the time I went to bed had finally stopped by morning, I stupidly took a few steps in shoes, & bled right through my sock! It still hasn't fully healed (happened 3/26). If I'd had an O.R. bar I'd have had nothing worth reporting (no drag).
If its blowing hard, over 15-20, I always use the kite leash. Sometimes I hate doing that because it usually ends up in some mess of strings...
Have you tried it with Q-Power? My "stock" lines used to tangle badly when I released to the leash to land, but I recently had to do that (unfortunately by necessity) & found my Q-Powers had barely twisted, & didn't slow my relaunch at all.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:40 am

Yeah, I've been thinking about the position of the QR too.
When I was getting dragged along the beach on my stomach having to release the shackle that was under my stomach pressed between me and moving packed sand, mud and other shit was definately the worst place for it to be. Your shackle depower and everything just become a moving mass of mud.
If I'd have been using my foil I could have grabbed the blue cross line above my head or hauled down on the leash going from my harness to the blue cross line, killing the kite.
There has to be a better way of releasing a depower shackle on LEIs.
The thing is, with with the wichard you have to pull the trigger away from the tip of the shackle to release it which means pulling towards your body if you're using it like most of us do.
If you turn it around and hook the releasable part on the spreader hook you could use the leash to activate the trigger pulling upwards, which would give you something to grab which was above your head and not under your stomach. But the leash couldn't be under much tension or else it could release by accident. Maybe a release line that is attached to the elash but isn't under the same tension as the leash itself
I'm gonna do some thinkin on this, If I'm ever in the same situation again I definately want something that's at least in front of my face that I can pull to release the shackle instead of having to look for it under my stomach in moving mud.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:23 am

jo on my wichard on my f-one i have a ring ring system set up on my back lines, and i use a standard green flysurfer leash.

if i was on my guts i'd just grab the leash above me, slide my hand down and outwards from my body. you can release the wichard in this way with almost sideways pull. one of the benefits of using webbing and not string is that it is thicker and releases earlier as it bunches up in the gate when you pull it. hence using a folded legth of 15mm webbing......

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:51 am

My gad Jo, whats going on with the landing hooked in thang!
Or rather not using the leash to land it. Dude you scared me with this. I saw yer post and thought the worst. Goood to see no serious damage done before I'd even met you faca to faca!

Listen I saw this happen to some poor guy in teneriffe too and as he was being dragged on his Belly, I tought, "why doesnt he roll over and pull the QR" ?

do you think it would have been possible for you to roll on to your back to release ?

SQ - great idea, never thought of swapping the leash sides.

Anyway, all said, thank god you are ok. Remember that topic we were talking about in here a while ago ? - Stages of kiteboarding where the beggining we all are respectfull and wary, then relaxed and risky, and then respectfull and wary again ?

feelin wary ? I am just listtening to your mare!

Speak soon.

Ron.

tux
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lignano
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara CE BR
Style: wave
Gear: Naish Helix Limited '09 9 North rebel '09 9; vegas '08 9 , rhino '07 14
John Amundson Pro model '08 Hydro '08

Hi Jo'

Postby tux » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:20 pm

Hi Jo' good to see the sistem work.
I'm improving the self-landing around the flag-pole in the beach, it works 100% asap I'll show you pics of it.
Tux :pirate:

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Mon Apr 07, 2003 1:46 pm

:bye: Hey Jo!

Sounds like you had quite a ride, I'm glad your ok :thumb:

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Apr 07, 2003 1:56 pm

sq225917 wrote:jo on my wichard on my f-one i have a ring ring system set up on my back lines, and i use a standard green flysurfer leash.

if i was on my guts i'd just grab the leash above me, slide my hand down and outwards from my body. you can release the wichard in this way with almost sideways pull. one of the benefits of using webbing and not string is that it is thicker and releases earlier as it bunches up in the gate when you pull it. hence using a folded legth of 15mm webbing......
Yeah I think I'm gonna set the leash up like this too, reason I haven't yet is that the whichard has to be triggered from the releasing part/top of the trigger so you have to make sure the leash will never pull at the bottom because it probably won't open like this.
It definately gives you something the grab and run your hand down and pull on until the shackle releases, I think your hand would have to be almost level with the shackle because pulling up or sideways don't work but as you're moving forwards and you slide you hands down the leash as soon as they come in contact with the ground they'll get draged back and I think the shackle should release, or your hands will get ripped off the leash and you can start again, it can't be worse than not having the leash that releases the shackle like I do now anyway.
You tried it yet in this sort of a situation Simon, or anyone else?

Thanks Ron, about rolling over onto your back I dunno man, it all happens so bloddy fast, if I was on my back I could have reached the shackle easier but I think it would have been pretty hard to do that and really if it happens I would just concentrate on RELEASING THAT SHACKLE.
Also you basically dig up the beach so I'd much rather have my stomach and hands there than my head because if there's any rocks or if your head buries into the sand, snap.
I was holding my head as far up away from the beach as poss, reaching under me with my hands, sort of like a surfing take off move.
Last edited by Mr Jo Macdonald on Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:02 pm

Hello Jo,

Glad you came through without injury and with a good story. Those 30 m plus high speed drags on land can really stick with you though. I still vividly remember mine from over three years ago. It is interesting how many things there are to know and do in this sport to keep whole and healthy over the long term. Thanks for sharing your experience with the rest of us. Some general thoughts follow inspired by your experience and those of several others:

ALWAYS disconnect your chicken loop BEFORE releasing your kite and it hits the ground.

and

NEVER walk towards your kite while attached to your kite.

and

Solo land your kite while still in the water and away from hard objects if conditions look uncertain.

A new kiter died in Spain for not practicing this among other critical errors such as ignoring GOOD ADVICE from experienced kiteboarders and flying in a squall. Another rider smashed in some ribs by not practicing this either.

You might experiment with the following solo landing technique in light winds after carefully checking out all your gear:

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6911&navi=5&button=forum

There is a lot of text there but the technique is actually quite simple. I have used this technique for years and in wind up to the low 40 mph range. If your lines tangle or leash malfunctions this technique and most other solo techniques that I can think of, may well get you into trouble.

ALL KITEBOARDERS NEED TO PRACTICE SOME FORM OF RELIABLE SOLO LANDING TECHNIQUE that will work onshore or in the water. Having to rely upon others to get your kite out of the sky that can exert such tremendous force is unacceptably dangerous.

I have heard other folks express doubts about whether or not they could release their QR or snap shackle while being dragged. I am not certain if you could do it reliably either under such circumstances. Rolling over could result in a nasty head impact.

Oh...as an after thought. Incidents like this that can happen on occassion even to very experienced riders are one of the reasons wearing helmets, impact vests and gloves make sense at all times.
Last edited by RickI on Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”