Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

AIRLINES? What is your experience?

Forum for kitesurfers
ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby ptraykovski » Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:04 am

I have had good luck with putting just my board in a 157 length bag with nothing else in that bag. They look at it a bit funny and then I hand it to them and it weighs 6-7 lbs and I tell em its a waterski or or snow board and I haven't been charged..mostly AA or united. Then we pull out my 2 other 50 -60lbs huge wheeled duffle bags full of kites, gear, diving stuff, whatever and even though these bags are really heavy they look "normal" and they are within regs for weight limiatations so it seems to work. Also having a heavy board bag loaded with kites makes it much more likely to get your board damaged as th eboard takes the force of all that other stuff when they throw it around.

-Peter

Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:32 am

Best way to get around problems with excess baggage, get a girlfirend who enjoys the beach but does not kitesurf then when she is not looking fill her bag full of kitesurf kit. Problem sorted, warning you will get a bit of shit off her at the other end but buy her something nice as long as it is cheaper than the cost the excess baggage would have been.

Laters your kitesurfer in Kuwait.

Jonathan

P.S cheap flights to middle east at moment and some wicked wind especially in Qatar.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:27 am

Roberto, were you not able to talk to a higher person in charge?
if discussions, always get someone higher to talk to, specially when you have the rules printed.

Toby

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:52 am

Well, I can't lie, I'm kinda twisted, but had to read this thead, as I frequent the L.A. to Tokyo, to Kuala Lumpur to Perth Trip.

I ain't gonna lie. I got MAD LUGGAGE! And the last time I traveled overseas from L.A. to Perth, was only a few months after 9/11. And I just straight up told 'em I didn't have the cash flow to pay for the extra board (which they never said we had to pay BTW), and dude worked with his boss, and got my wife, and I sh!t on board. (BTW this is this happen on the way to Alaska as well, and I said the same thing, (muffuc*in Travel Agent didn't say a thing about my sh!t))

I hadn't been overseas, since then except to Bali for a quick hop, skip, and a jump (to get my braid on).

I am planning on going back to the States Next NoHemi Summer. (Gotta give love to the fams) so I don't know what it will be like then, but I willhave my kite (as well as my wife) and they better not fuc* me around.

Cheers

Glad you had safe travels Toby. :thumb:

*btw* how long is that flight from Deutchland to Florida?

C

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:34 am

as I remember right it is about 9 hrs.

Robert
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Robert » Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:09 am

Hi Y'all,

Just came back from Tarifa.
I flew with LTU airlines.

You'll have to call LTU in advance for the quiver you want to take with you. The surfgear transportation costs €30. Max weight is 20KG personal bagage and 30KG for your quiver. If you buy a LTU card for €30 euro you do not have to pay €30 again for the next trips with LTU within the same year. With the LTU card you have some extra's, one of them is that you personal bagage may weight 30KG instead of 20KG. for more info check http://WWW.LTU.DE

Cheers,
Robert

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:35 am

Roberto: Good thinking about using a Mastercard for the charges - you can fight a lot better than having spent cash. ...and having a copy of their regulations is very handy. It doesn't take a contract law class to know that when you bought a ticket - you also made a contract agreement.
wetstuff: I usually have success when my CC company lodges a protest for me. I spend a lot of mooney with them for business so they are helpful.

Roberto, were you not able to talk to a higher person in charge?
if discussions, always get someone higher to talk to, specially when you have the rules printed.
Toby: I was with my girlfirend and she usually freaks out when I have even the mellowest confrontation with anyone over stuff like this, so I took the path of least resistance. Speaking to a "higher-up" would have flipped her out even more and "ruined the vacation" before it even started...trust me...I've learned the hard way. I did show the guy a printed copy of the Airline regs and I booked on this airline based on those regs. The agent was capricious in his personal interpretation of the rules, some form of strange power-lust or something?

roberto

Kiteboarddog
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kiteboarddog » Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:33 am

This is actually Joel's wife - I used to work at a travel agency so I get picky about our traveling.

Our first trip to Florida was a definite learning experience. We were flying Delta (who I dislike anyway) and they charged us $80 - EACH WAY! We tried to fight it, but they really do have you by the you-know-whats when you are standing there waiting for the flight. It was Joel's bigger board at the time and we had packed it in a box we got from the local kite shop - which came out to be six feet, but didn't weigh very much.

Our second trip was much better. Back to Florida, but this time on Continental. We always traveled Continental skiing so we knew there was no charge for snowboards and skis. This time Joel had a smaller board that fit in a 157 board bag, which he stuffed with two kites and miscellaneous gear. With as straight a face as possible we told the check-in guy that it was a snowboard. He didn't even blink - no problem and no charge on either leg of the trip.

After we checked in for the return and the board was on it's way, we asked about different sporting equipment (I surf and we were curious). The did say that there was also no charge for wakeboards - which seems a lot closer than snowboards, especially on a Houston/Florida trip - or anywhere else warm for that matter.

My best suggestion after working with airlines for so long is to call and find out what sporting equipment ships free. It seems a little dishonest, but do you really want to stand at the counter running late for a flight trying to explain what kiteboarding is and why you shouldn't be charged - probably not. By calling ahead, you don't risk them questioning your sudden change in sporting equipment at the counter and risk having your bag opened and searched. And there's no way you're going to convince most folks that it's just as fair as a baby stroller.

Good luck!

Stephanie
(Joel's Kite-widow)

Return to “Kitesurfing”