Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Back lines slack

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Back lines slack

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 07, 2003 1:31 am

I have my lines set up that when the front lines are fully powered up I have the front lines 1-2 inches longer then the back lines. Normally when the kite is flying I depower just enough so the front lines now equal the back lines.....

Why is it that when the kite is flying the back lines seems to be loose or lax....not tout like the front lines.

Please advice,

Barry

scotty
Rare Poster

Postby scotty » Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:31 am

lenghten your front lines some more,
I think your flying in the chicken loop always, like most now
but you have to adjust your kite accordingly. mine are about 3 inches
longer than rear so when you fully pull the bar towards you as far as you can go, the kite is just starting to flare at the tips.squeezing all the power possible from your kite. Just keep in mind when your chicken loop
comes off accidently , you will be very powered up.
hope this helps.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:39 am

Adjusting your line lengths will vary from kite to kite. They need to be tuned differently. Some more specific info regarding your kite may help with the answer you're looking for.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sq225917 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:17 am

barry if you are flying the kite as a learner, in lighter winds, then having a bit of slack in your lines at full depower is no bad thing. it stops the kite from stalling.

but we'd like to know.

what kite
size
your weight
typical wind speed
board size
and your skill level.

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:09 am

Rhino 2 12M.....I'm 155 lbs....I use the same bar/lines with my Toro1

It wouldbe nice if ididn't have to change the line settings from kite to kite.

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:22 am

the way i do it because i fly f ones and wipika with the same bar is i make all the flying lines the same length with the chicken loop adjustment slacked off all the way. this way you can adjust all your line lenghths with just your bar and don't need to attach to harness.
then you have short pigtails on the kite leading edge and make the pig tails on the trailing edge longer to achieve the adjustment you want. on my whipika this is about 7 inches and about 5 inches on the f one. then you have to decide if you want full power with the bar all way in [thats how i set up] or do you want power with the bar all way out. you have some adjustment in the chicken loop strap. so just play with the length of the pig tails till you get what you want.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:21 pm

Anonymous wrote:Rhino 2 12M.....I'm 155 lbs....I use the same bar/lines with my Toro1

It wouldbe nice if ididn't have to change the line settings from kite to kite.
You dont have to.

If you need different settings for different kites - use pigtails on the connection points.
Well, North has "gender" connection points, so you could also mount a pigtail line on your front connection points instead, if this is easier.

Of course you might have to lengthen you backlines a bit at the bar, when mounting pigtails on your fronts.

A pigtail line is a small (20cm maybe) knottet line, with knots every 1 or 2 inch.

Then when you have found your "ideal" knot for all your kites - you could cut the excess pigtail knots.

Now you know that your "outer" knot is perfect, for every kite you have.

And all kites will have the perfect trim, without adjusting on your bar or trim at all :thumb:

Normally, one uses pigtails on the back lines - so if you dont use the "gender" setup that North makes, mount your pigtails on the rear connection points.
The load on the back lines is not as tough as the fronts, so pigtails on the backs is often preferred.

Please note like others have said, that whether your back lines should be slack or not, depends entirely on the specific kite.
There is no general trim.
The Rhinos are not as front-line flyers as many other kites, so you might want the back lines to be tight, when powered up.

Return to “Kitesurfing”