Forum for kitesurfers
Fatfish98
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hayling Island Ban latest info

Postby Fatfish98 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:11 pm

WE HAVE TO OPPOSE THE BYLAW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

A local kitesurfer has just been round to see me. He went to the council offices today and was told by the legal department that it isn't the council that are trying to pass the bylaw but it is the golf club and the beachlands managment. The council don't want any hassle or bad publicity and apparently have never said that they want to ban kitesurfing on Hayling Island!

Beachlands managment have been offering another area for us to use which after having a good look at the site, seems pretty unsuitable as it is so close to the road. One mishap and they will ban it for good.

It may be the case that beachlands are offering the site to us to keep us quiet while they try to get the bylaw through. The lady at the council said that we all should phone her up and give our names and addresses so that we can be invited to the first meeting they have about the bylaw and make our opposal to the bylaw heard. (she told the guy who went to see her that she shouldn't really be telling him all of this!)

If we agreed to the new site and the bylaw gets passed the beachland managment could turn around at any time and say 'we've had complaint and are going to ban kitesurfing'

He is going back tomorrow to get her name and her phone number and as soon as I know it I will post it here. I am also going to arrange a petition that will be in Shore Watersports and Zero Gravity so that you can all sign it and give your details and then I will send it off to the council, that way we will have a copy rather than just relying on phone calls.

I hope all the relevant shops, businesses and importers will get involved with this because the council do not want business on the Island to suffer.

I will put up all relevant details as soon as I have them.

Cheers

Stu

low tide mark

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:54 pm

The golf club say they own the beach to the low tide mark - without an access for the public clause. What happens if a fishing boat smacks into a hidden iron post under the water but above the low water line here and spills all it's fuel - who is liable for the cleanup - need a land rights lawyer or something to tell the real deal. How is this, I did not think this was possible in the UK. If it was the high tide mark like I thought it should be - there would be less of a problem. How about a byelaw not accepting liability for accidents in the area - I would have thought this was already in place though - if not the golf club has been taking a big risk for years.

I find it hard to believe that the golf club has any legal rights towards members of the general public below the high tide mark. If they do - this is the sea being stolen from the people. Surely - if the golf club erroded into the sea - that is that - they no longer own it - there are many examples of this in the UK.

If politicians are found to misbehave, we do not consider that they all misbehave, or put in place 'quick and easy to make laws' that are really about limiting liability. That is sheer lazyness and not for the people as it should be.
Ian C
nz

Ari Raptis
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Ari Raptis » Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:15 am

What you should do is get right on the Golf Club's case !!

One interesting thing you could look at is fertiliser.

I recall the local golf club getting into a lot of gief because their fertilizer was running off and draining into the adjacent waterway.

Get some advice off of enviromentalists. Try your nearest "keep the surf clean" brigade.

Also hard to believe any one can claim land to the LOW water mark!

They are probably bluffing all the way !

Call their bluff!

If you can get some one on the council on your side ,thats good.

make sure they don't play Golf!

Fatolebastard
Rare Poster

Hayling Island threat.

Postby Fatolebastard » Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:38 am

England England this green and pleasant isle, so full of intolerant people I hang my head in shame.

There isn't any room for complacency here we are about to get screwed. I have never been to Hayling island but would love to have the opportunity one day. I am not in a position to help this call to arms in person or by phone because I am on the other side of the world at the moment.

Can I politely protest and help our corner via email? This is the thin end of the wedge and everyone who kites in the UK had better wake up, once the precedent is set you can bitch and moan as much as you like but it won't change the precedent.

This must be approached with tact not rage, the golf club has history and probably lots of clout, there must be room for negotiation, we can live together and play side by side maybe a lack of respect has brought this down on our sport we must give and earn that respect back.

I don't have any axes to grind with golfers but I do with intolerant unimaginative jobsworths. The farmer Palmer "git orf moi land" attitude is so lame nowadays, I would love to be able to help not just for myself but for the dudes and dudettes who are following behind me.

How can my voice be heard, How can I stand up and be counted, please tell me. I am a UK citizen but don't spend much time there, tell me how to help.

The fat one :o

lepoissonrouge
Rare Poster

Postby lepoissonrouge » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:20 pm

check this out,
http://www.ukmarinesac.org.uk/activitie ... c5_0_1.htm

aparently they can own the land to the seabed :(
bastards

Return to “Kitesurfing”