Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hammer boards... anyone else using them?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hammer boards... anyone else using them?

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:04 pm

I was able to test a Hammer GTO 147 Saturday. I was well powered to overpowered on my Rhino II 12m and usually have trouble holding an edge with my RRD asym 150 when overpowered. I have been needing a smaller board for some time and kept trying the Underground boards but never quite felt like it was the board for me. They are great boards, but I wanted something that could hold a good edge when overpowered and loading for a jump, but then release the edge and become skatey when I want.

The Hammer did this on flat water great and the real test will be trying it in choppy water and waves. I want something that will be able to do pretty good in the waves without going to an offset TT.

The Hammer has a channel bottom that helps set a rail, stomp the kite to the window and slows down the board in overpowered wind. Other boards I have tried this with just bounce out. The Hammer can be fast or slow, you can control the speed easily. It was smooth in moderate chop and very loose and responsive without at all being squirly or uncontrollable. I landed some big jumps hot and it was very controllable without catching the nose. In tricks, it never caught a toeside edge. It was stiff with good pop and I was able to hold my Rhino II in more wind than usual.

This is not a biased review and I am not saying this is the best board out there. I have only tried a handful of different boards, but this is the best I have tried. If it is good in the waves, it will be my next board. If you are looking for a board, give this one a try.

Has anyone else tried it? What do you think?

White man can jump!

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kitedude » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:32 pm

as far as i know hammer are a French snowboard company, are these the same people or is this a different make?

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:27 pm

Different company. A US surf board builder I believe.
Here is a link.

[http://www.hammersurf.com/]

[http://www.hammersurf.com/company.html] if you don't have flash.

WMCJ!

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:34 pm

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:36 pm

Kiteboarddog
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kiteboarddog » Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:52 pm

I spent a couple of hours on one in South Padre.
I think it was around a 157 or so, it could have been smaller but it went upwind well.
Great board
They have channels in the bottom.
They hold an edge like they are on rails but can still spin when you want to.
One of the riders at our launch bought one and is very happy with it.
Joel

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:47 pm

I bought a 175 tt. That thing is good in flat or waves and has enough surface to get going in very light wind. Its really tough. I take off in the sand and it hardly showes any weare. Its light too. Its the board I learned to olli with. Its an all around good board for the 180 to 200 lb. kiter. I really like mine.

Paul

Return to “Kitesurfing”