kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What about that 2002 Takoon Skoop?

Postby kjelleren » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:10 pm

Greetings,
I am a big fan of buying last years model, after folks have had real chance to sort out what wa really good and what wasn't. I have a chance to get a nice deal on a new 2002 Takoon Skoop 17. Skoop flyers, what do you think of this kite? I love Airblast so this seemed a logical replacement.

Gary

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:20 pm

Many different opinions on this one...

Everyone loved the Skoop 14.3 - but many light riders disliked the 17, and were better off using the 14.3 instead because of this.

Others liked it a lot.

And most heavy riders used it and liked it.

It wont help you much, I know - but thats what I know about it...

The Skoop2 17 is a totally different kite though.

Faster, good acceleration, and better turning.

kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjelleren » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:50 pm

Can anybody compare to the 11.8 Airblast? I love this kite, but it has tons of hours and 2 years of use. It will be retained for Snowkiting and as a backup.

Is the 03 really that much better? I don't want to get caught up in the hype of the newest model.

THanks
Gary

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:32 pm

I use the 17 skoop all last year and have used the new skoop2 17 about 4 times now. I really liked last years 17..it worked great for me and has much better low end than the 11.8 AB which I used all of 2001. As Peter F says It is not as light feeling as the last years 14.5 but stiil turns fine for good jumps in light to med wind.. the only time it felt a bit sluggish to me was for down the line wave riding in side to side-off condtions, but I think most big ktes would feel abit sluggish.

The new 17 is improved kite in my view. Its is not huge difference, but it definetly noticable and significant. It turns nicer and flies a bit smoother. To me jumps in the middle of it's range are a little better, but at it's top end maybe there is a little more improvement. They made the LE thicker toward the tips and more segemtned so it has a more rigid structure. The thing I noticed the most was that the skoop2 is more tolerant of back line pressure. With the 2002 it was fairly easy to oversheet..then kite would open up dramatically (tip flare) lose almost all forward speed and be hard to turn. With the 2003 I find that it is harder to over sheet and that with lots of backline tension the kite goes to its max power and still drives forward and retains turning potential. Of course you can still oversheet it if you really try but it is easier not to which makes for a more forgiving performance.. I noticed this especially whne landing transitions and oversheet for some quick power at the same time as turning into a dive.

So yes the 2003 is nicer but you can get a 2002 for less than 1/2 of a new 2003 so it is hard to say that it is twice as good as the 2002!

ps I have a 2002 17 for sale on ikitesurf and in the used section of this forum...but that doesn't bias my comments!!!! ':wink:'

Skoop2

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:24 am

I just got my new Skoop2 17.0 bought from http://www.funsplash.com. They were very helpful and quick answering all my email questions. The kite was from the first shipment to the US. Arrived last week and flew with no problems 'out of the box'. I was out a few times. I liked the old Skoop after using it a lot last year. Differences:
  • - new bar is much smaller
  • - Skoop2 turns much faster and feels more like the old 14.5
  • - safety-line is a big improvement (small line attached to middle) no more tangles, quick to attach/detach => much better for rotation jumps
  • - Bag is nice (works with inflated struts and carries kite + board in backpack style)
  • - depower line is coverd with plastic and won't wear like the old one (check when you buy used one)
  • - depower line moves easier, hole goes through bar (I bumped my head against the clamp on the old bar 2 times which was not fun)
After all, I think it was worth paying the difference between selling the old one and buying the new Skoop2. I don't want to go back... If you can/want only spend half or less of the price of a new Skoop2 - the Skoop1 was a good kite, but the Skoop2 is better.

Return to “Kitesurfing”