Help wanted ...

Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:25 pm

The following safe kiteboarding guidelines has been put together for the new kiteboarding area of the AKA website. It is intended to provide a national (or international), generic safe kiteboarding guideline for use by new kiteboarding clubs and associations. The idea is that these groups can then supplement the national guideline with a shorter set written to address unique local conditions and restrictions. Also it is intended to save these groups the trouble of writing a complete set of guidelines dozens of times across the country, if they want to. The guidelines include the preflight checklist as I figured a safe good session involves more than just having a good launch. They aren't real short, but let's face it we are learning lots of ways of getting into trouble and a really short list may not do the job. I was hoping to get some input on these guidelines

Thanks!
Rick Iossi

SAFE KITEBOARDING GUIDELINES - April 18, 2002

These safe kiteboarding guidelines are directed at improving kiteboarder and bystanders safety. Kiteboarding can be potentially dangerous both to the kiteboarder and to bystanders, particularly if practiced without adequate knowledge, caution and technique. Kiteboarders must accept that even if these guidelines are followed that accidents and/or injury may occur. The ways of having accidents and being injured are still being discovered in this new sport. Kiteboarders should follow these guidelines, area specific guidelines if applicable and other prudent and safe practices in an attempt to maintain safety and continued access to beaches for Kiteboarding. These guidelines are updated regularly so please check them often and use the latest version.

GENERAL SAFETY GUIDELINES

1. Help other kiteboarders with launching and landing. Whether you are starting out or are almost a pro, your help may avoid a serious incident/accident and possible restrictions. Kiteboarders are solely responsible for their safety and that of effected bystanders. If you are new to an area or visiting, seek out local kiteboarders, shops and/or associations for local guidelines and rules before kiteboarding.

2. All kiteboarders, particularly beginners should seek adequate professional instruction. Beginners must avoid crowded areas and body drag out at least 200 ft. (60m) from shore prior to water starting.

3. Know your equipment’s limitations as well as your own. If you aren't 100% healthy OR IN DOUBT, DON’T FLY! Always maintain an energy reserve while out kiteboarding. Hydrate regularly and wear exposure clothing as appropriate. Don’t kiteboard alone or further from shore than you are readily able to swim in from.

4. Make sure you have proper safety equipment, i.e. a kite depowering leash, a good well fitting helmet, impact vest, gloves and hook knife. A kite depowering safety leash must be attached to your body.

5. Give way to the public on the beach and in the water at ALL TIMES. Be courteous and polite to bystanders. Complaints have led to restrictions on kiteboarding in some areas.

6. Is the weather acceptable, free of storm clouds and excessive gusty winds? Are seas and wind condition within your experience, ability and appropriate for your gear? Offshore and onshore winds should be avoided. REMEMBER; TWICE THE WIND – FOUR TIMES THE POWER!

PREFLIGHT CHECKLIST

1. Make sure your launch is open, FREE OF DOWNWIND BYSTANDERS, hard objects, nearby power lines, buildings and walls, within at least 100 ft. (30 m), and preferably 200 ft. (60 m). Avoid kiteboarding near airports and in low flight path areas.

2. Check your kite for tears or leaky bladders. If you have leaky bladders or tears in your kite, repair them before flying.

3. Check ALL webbing, pigtails, bridles, centerline or chicken loop and leaders for knots, wear or abrasions. If the line sheathing shows any breaks or the lines cuts, replace them. The pigtails should be replaced no less frequently than every 6 months on inflatable kites.

4. Make sure your flying lines are equal as they will stretch unevenly with use. If they have knots that can’t be easily untied, replace you’re the flight lines.

5. If solo launching make sure your kite is properly anchored with sand and is draped downwind to avoid premature launch. Rig your kite for solo launch at the last minute and launch without delay as serious accidents have happened in only minutes during this stage. If you leave the kite unattended, disabled by disconnecting all lines from one side and roll your lines when not in use.

6. Walk down your lines and examine them carefully. Just before launch pick your bar up and carefully look down the lines for twists and tangles that could cause the kite to be dangerously uncontrollable.

LAUNCHING AND GETTING UNDERWAY

1. Avoid hooking or snap shackling in while onshore or near hard objects. Pull in your trim strap or rope entirely or to a point that will allow stable kite flight with existing wind conditions, to properly depower the kite before launching and so that you can readily hold the bar and release it if necessary.

2. Announce your intention to launch and then launch promptly. The kite should be launched near or preferably from the water. Assisted launches are always preferred.

3. To try to avoid lofting or involuntary lifting. DO NOT BRING YOUR KITE OVERHEAD or near neutral or the zenith, within 200 ft. (60 m) of ANY HARD OBJECT (on water or land).

4. Go offshore WITHOUT DELAY after launch. If there are substantial waves where you need to put on your board consider body dragging outside the breaker zone first.

5. Yield the right of way to all others in the water. Riders must yield to kiteboarders when jumping, maneuvering, or riding on port tack (left hand forward). Kiteboarders should not jump and always allow a buffer zone within two hundred feet (60 m) of others and objects that are downwind. Incoming riders give way to those launching.

LANDING

1. Approach the shore slowly with caution. Take care to avoid causing an accidental jump by slowing suddenly while approaching the shore. Keep your kite low to avoid lofting.

2. Arrange for assisted landings at least 200 ft. (60 m) from bystanders, powerlines and vertical surfaces. Do not use non-kiteboarders for assisted launches or landings. If in doubt, safely solo depower your kite in the shallows away from shore and bystanders.

3. Properly anchor your kite and wind up your kite lines. The kite should be placed in a safe area well out of bystander and vehicular traffic.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:44 am

when you wind up the kitelines, you mean disconnenting the lines as well, isn't it?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:55 pm

Good point Toby, it better to add that extra assurance of safety. I have modified the document further including the suggestions that have come in. Input on this would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Rick Iossi

SAFE KITEBOARDING GUIDELINES - April 19, 2002

These guidelines have been prepared with the goal of improving kiteboarder and bystanders safety. They have been derived from other kiteboarding guidelines from around the world and from lessons learned from actual accidents and incidents. Kiteboarding can be potentially dangerous both to the kiteboarder and to bystanders, particularly if practiced without adequate knowledge, training and caution. Kiteboarders must accept that even if these guidelines are followed that accidents and/or injury may occur. The ways of having accidents and being injured are still being discovered in this new sport. Kiteboarders should follow these guidelines, area specific guidelines if applicable and other prudent and safe practices in an attempt to maintain safety and continued access to beaches for Kiteboarding. These guidelines are updated regularly so please check them often and use the latest version.

GENERAL SAFETY GUIDELINES

1. Help other kiteboarders with launching and landing. Whether you are starting out or are almost a pro, your help may avoid a serious incident/accident and possible restrictions. Talk persuasively to kiteboarders that aren't following safe practices and ask them to follow these guidelines and seek instruction if appropriate. Kiteboarders are solely responsible for their safety and that of effected bystanders. If you are new to an area or visiting, seek out local kiteboarders, shops and/or associations for local guidelines and rules before kiteboarding to avoid causing problems.
2. All kiteboarders, particularly beginners should seek adequate professional instruction. Beginners must avoid crowded areas as most bystanders aren't aware the potential hazards. Out of control kites have the potential to drag riders or fly over substantial distances so always maintain a safe buffer zone. Beginners should body drag out at least 200 ft. (60m) from shore prior to water starting.
3. Know your equipment’s limitations as well as your own. If you aren't 100% healthy OR IN DOUBT, DON’T FLY! Always maintain an energy reserve while out kiteboarding. Hydrate regularly and wear exposure clothing as appropriate. Don’t kiteboard alone or further from shore than you are readily able to swim in from.
4. Make sure you have proper safety equipment, i.e. a kite depowering leash, a good well fitting helmet, impact vest, gloves and hook knife. A kite depowering safety leash must be attached to your body.
5. Give way to the public on the beach and in the water at ALL TIMES. Always be courteous and polite to bystanders. Complaints have led to restrictions on kiteboarding in some areas.
6. Is the weather acceptable, free of current or pending storm clouds and excessive gusty winds? Are seas and wind condition within your experience, ability and appropriate for your gear? Offshore and onshore winds should be avoided. REMEMBER; TWICE THE WIND – FOUR TIMES THE POWER!

PREFLIGHT CHECKLIST

1. Make sure your launch is open, FREE OF DOWNWIND BYSTANDERS, hard objects, nearby power lines, buildings and walls, within at least 100 ft. (30 m), and preferably 200 ft. (60 m). Avoid kiteboarding near airports and in low flight path areas.
2. Check your kite for tears or leaky bladders. If you have leaky bladders or tears in your kite, repair them before flying.
3. Check all webbing, pigtails, bridles, centerline or chicken loop and leaders for knots, wear or abrasions. If the line sheathing shows any breaks or the lines cuts, replace them. The pigtails should be replaced no less frequently than every 6 months on inflatable kites.
4. Make sure your flying lines are equal as they will stretch unevenly with use. If they have knots that can’t be easily untied, replace your flight lines.
5. If solo launching make sure your kite is properly anchored with sand and is draped downwind to avoid premature launch. Rig your kite for solo launch at the last minute and launch without delay as serious accidents have happened in only minutes during this stage. If you leave the kite unattended, disabled by disconnecting all lines from one side and roll your lines when not in use.
6. Walk down your lines and examine them carefully. Attach your kite leash before launch. Just before launch pick your bar up and carefully look down the lines for twists and tangles that could cause the kite to be dangerously uncontrollable.

LAUNCHING AND GETTING UNDERWAY

1. Avoid hooking or snap shackling in while onshore or near hard objects. Pull in your trim strap or rope entirely or to a point that will allow stable kite flight with existing wind conditions, to properly depower the kite before launching and so that you can readily hold the bar and release it if necessary.
2. Announce your intention to launch and then launch promptly. The kite should be launched near or preferably from the water. Assisted launches are always preferred.
3. To try to avoid lofting or involuntary lifting. DO NOT BRING YOUR KITE OVERHEAD or near neutral or the zenith, within 200 ft. (60 m) of ANY HARD OBJECT (on water or land).
4. Go offshore WITHOUT DELAY after launch. If there are substantial waves where you need to put on your board consider body dragging outside the breaker zone first. Be aware of and properly react in advance of low flying aircraft coming into your area.
5. Yield the right of way to all others in the water. Riders must yield to kiteboarders when jumping, maneuvering, or riding on port tack (left hand forward). Kiteboarders should not jump and always allow a buffer zone within two hundred feet (60 m) of others and objects that are downwind. Incoming riders give way to those launching.

LANDING

1. Approach the shore slowly with caution. Take care to avoid causing an accidental jump in well powered conditions by slowing suddenly while approaching the shore. Keep your kite low to avoid lofting.
2. Arrange for assisted landings at least 200 ft. (60 m) from bystanders, powerlines and vertical surfaces. Do not use non-kiteboarders for assisted launches or landings. If in doubt, safely solo depower your kite in the shallows away from shore and bystanders.
3. Properly anchor your kite, disconnect your kite lines and wind them up. The kite should be placed in a safe area well out of bystander and vehicular traffic.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Apr 20, 2002 4:25 pm

also very important to NOT fasten up your routine when coming to the beach to have a quick ride. I always take my time to set up the lines, since this is the most important thing to do. I know it from myself. I always want to go on the wtaer real quick because I'm dying to hit the water. Once I was too fast and didn't take my time. So in 6-8 Beaufort I twisted the lines while connecting it to my 7.5 ARX, which is a real quick kite. I felt something was wrong but didn't see it nad then I couldn't steer it and was lucky that it didn't fly through the powerzone. It would have busted me! Luckily some guys were standing around to grab me and land the kite. Be sure, that I'm taking my time to connect the lines anytime now!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:25 am

Excellent point Toby! Making setup a careful routine particularly in higher winds is very important. There are many cases of accidents in the accident database, sometimes to very experienced rider when they rushed setup and preflighting. Making setup a methodical, careful and constant routine can make all the difference between a great session or a damaged kite or even quick trip to the hospital if things go very wrong.

Rick Iossi

Return to “Kitesurfing”