Forum for kitesurfers
GIW4240
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

back and front loops

Postby GIW4240 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:36 pm

I am looking for advice and the step by step process for doing these moves. Which direction is easier to do and should be attempted first? Do both of these moves require sending the kite as I believe there are several different variations. What should I do as a first time attempt, what should be practiced, and what are the normal problems that you might run into. the help is appreciated.

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:00 pm

http://www.kitesurferen.dk/en/index.php.

Nice instruction video's

THE POWER
Medium Poster

BACK LOOPS

Postby THE POWER » Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:08 pm

I don't know why but back loops are a bit easier to begin with. I personally am no expert and have just started to do these. I have been kitesurfing for a year before I began and can sail up wind well and jump ok but nothing special. I could have probably tried these much sooner though. sailing in cold water was certainly one reason why I didn't. What I noticed most of all when first trying them was that about half way round I got a little scared and disorientated and then attempted to look at the kite while backwards which made me feel even more disorientated. The key is not to look at the kite until you have completed the revolution. The most common error after that is that after you have sent the kite back in the window to gain a little lift it is very easy to keep pulling with the back hand which will just send the kite diving into the ground or looping round. You really have to exagerate pulling on the front hand to get the kite to stay near the zenith. For your first attempts you will think that you are redirecting the kite but you will not be doing it nearly enough. After trying these for a few days in warm water I finally did one and it felt so easy and natural I even landed the next one planing. Most right handed people have a port tack bias. ie when your left hand is furthest forward on the bar. I can still only really back loop when sailing on port. The more confident you get the quicker you will be able to rotate and the less wind you will need

anthonyd
Frequent Poster
Gear: North Kites

Re: BACK LOOPS

Postby anthonyd » Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:47 am

THE POWER wrote: The key is not to look at the kite until you have completed the revolution.
The key is to never look at the kite when jumping.

Practise normal (up down) jumps without looking at the kite. Learn to know your kite, feel where it is and what it is doing at all times. This just takes practise. Then when you finally do rotations you will know where and what the kite is doing just by feel.

Having this "feel" is also a lot safer when on the beach and doing something like getting your board ready. If you can feel what your kite is doing you dont need to look up before avoiding a accident!

SunStruck!
Medium Poster

Postby SunStruck! » Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:35 am

Start with back loops. When I first started looping, I would often send the kite back too far before bringing it forward again. I soon found that to do singles and doubles I didn't even need to send the kite back at all provided the wind wasn't too light. With just a bit of power, bring your kite to around 1 o'clock. If there are small waves or chop, line one up and use it to launch. Throw your head back and your body will follow. The kite being above you can provide enough lift to complete the rotation. You won't get too much height this way which is probably better for starting out. Pull on the forward side of the bar just before landing to plane off. If you muff it up, the kite is above you, out of the power, and should keep hard landings to a minimum. As you get better you can send the kite back for higher rotations. Hope this helps a little. Good Luck :thumb:
Once you can backloop on one tack, it's good to learn to loop going the other way. This will enable you to untwist your lines/leash if you don't have a spinning leash set-up.

Huwin69
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: La Florida - Rosario - Argentina
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco - Brasil
Los Roques - Venezuela
Coche Island - Venezuela
El Yaque - Venezuela
Cariló - Argentina
Cuesta del Viento - Argentina
Style: All Around
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10m 2017
Slingshot RPM 8m 2016
Slingshot Asylum 138
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot Rosario

Back loop or Forward loop ?

Postby Huwin69 » Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:08 am

Back loops is easier...
kite at 70º don´t move it...
put pressure on the heelrail and heading upwind jump off the water while you got power from sheeting in the bar, ...and moving your head looking over your front shoulder will do the rotation with your body. Pull with your front hand to keep the kite on the front to land soft and with speed...this is the easy one... at least if you don´t get it, nothing happens.
If you start moving the kite on the other direction you´ll flight higher...and rotate more than once...i guess this is next level.

Return to “Kitesurfing”