Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Never thought it would happen to me. Famous last words.

Forum for kitesurfers
EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:59 pm

Axis wrote:Hi R,

The way I overcome this in 25 knots + is to set up the self launch as usual, and as soon as I attach my lines, I sand my upper lines aapprox 6 metres from the kite(as these are the ones that bind in high wind).
If you give it a go let me know what you think. :P
Hi Axis, thanks for you comments, appreiciated. Just to calrify, you "sand" ???? you lines 6m from the kite . . . i assume you meant Stand ? if so, how do you do this, could you elaborate kindly.

Cheers.

R.

Jo - Psycho - tik.

I'm going to make my own push put type and see if it can be possile. I beleive the Ocean Rodeo one is a piece of dyneems running throught the plastic tube, which also houses the depower line. at the bottom end connecting to the QR and at the top end, a ball protrudes from your depower at the cleat. the friction b'n the tube and the main depower line provides the resistance you need to push out against. Worth a try, the F1 bar I have already has this plastic tubing, all i need is the ball.

mmmm. play session comin on.

Rick - thanks too for your encouragement to play safe. also very much appreciated but there must be some aeronautical or other engineers there with the skills to build what we want - c'mon, where ae ya ?

ianwalton
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ianwalton » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:20 pm

Guys,

Just on the topic of the Ocean Rodeo Joystick bar...

I have one, and I love it. My only fear was, exactly what you said, that it might release if you let go of the bar in a jump.

Then exactly that happened, I jumped - f*cked up and somehow let go of the bar.....

BUT....

nothing released!

I have to say that I have gone from being a relatively nervous kiter when launching etc. to one who feels pretty safe now. Just think about it, why should you have to take your hands off the bar to release? You shouldn't!

I think that the OR bar is a breakthrough and that the OR guys deserve a good pat on the back for it.

I like it so much in fact that I have chosen it to talk about at my upcoming interviews for a degree in product design! Ha! I'll bore them with kiting talk!!!

By the way - I have only ever heard vague rumours about the things releasing unwantedly. I've had 6 or 7 good sessions on it now and everything has been fine.

Anyway, just my 2 cents

ian

bludger
Medium Poster

Postby bludger » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:35 pm

I'm sticking with the naish quick release chicken loop - and as for shackels - it a bit like motorbikes - if you have to throw it away you don't want to be near it! :o

Rossall
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool and Como.
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Waddell
Tarifa
Gear: Follow the Rabbits
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby Rossall » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:45 pm

Yeah Ron we do needs are heads reading, but some do and some watch, scared the shit out of me as I had a load of blood in my eye and did'n't really know what the fu*k had happened.

The shackle/QR debate is fine but the main problem I see is the initial lofting, thats the one thats going to kill you, once you have landed and are getting dragged along I found the QR in seconds before I got lofted again. I still have not heard any good ideas except don't huck in prior to getting on the water, that way if you get lofted the bar will just be pulled out of your grip, bit tiring on the arms though !!!!!! any ideas, knees getting better, good job I'm offshore can't get into any trouble out here.

alinsley
Rare Poster

Postby alinsley » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:15 pm

I'll second the Ocean Rodeo plug.

I just replaced my shackle with an OR system. I've only had it out once so far.

I think it is really, really excellent. I never liked the shackle solution - too unnatural. Thank goodness I never needed to use it.

The OR is very easy and natural to 'hit'.

Yes, the possibility is there that you will pre-release.

Yes, it will be very, very difficult to reattach the system, especially in deep water with gloves. But your kite will not be disabled, and you will be able to get back to shore to sort it out.

I think you have to be very careful when setting it up, and make sure that all of the pins and loops and velcro are as tight as possible. The tighter you make the system when you set it up, the more effort it should take to release it.

The pre-release downside is, in my opinion, hugely outweighed by the upsides.

I honestly think that this type of system should come with all kites. I hope other manufacturers take OR's lead and either license the system, or else come up with their own solutions.

Thanks Ocean Rodeo!!!

Worth every penny!!!

Cheers,
Alan

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:22 pm

bludger wrote:I'm sticking with the naish quick release chicken loop - and as for shackels - it a bit like motorbikes - if you have to throw it away you don't want to be near it! :o
he he. in the know then. I agree totaly but I havent seen a better solution yet Bludger. is the naish one the piece of tubing over a pin ?

does it respond under high load ?

Cheers.

Rossall - good to hear your knee is getting better mate. best you stay on that rig for a bit. the only one i like is the push off one like the O rodeo, will experiment making a simillar one and report back.

with my trip i was dragged / lifted with kit OOC (out of control) so couldnt get to my QR release ball at all.

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:24 pm

alinsley wrote:I'll second the Ocean Rodeo plug.

I just replaced my shackle with an OR system. I've only had it out once so far.

I think it is really, really excellent. I never liked the shackle solution - too unnatural. Thank goodness I never needed to use it.

The OR is very easy and natural to 'hit'.

Yes, the possibility is there that you will pre-release.

Alan
any chance of some detailed piccies ainsley, need to understand its working better.

Cheers.

R.

Rossall
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool and Como.
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Waddell
Tarifa
Gear: Follow the Rabbits
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby Rossall » Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:28 pm

I have a pic of a SS system that maybe of interest to you, it's a dead man system that will work but not spinnable, whats your email,

The MRI scan will tell the truth !!!!!!!

kitingkt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitingkt » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:08 pm

fellas,

i have both a shackle and the ocean rodeo system. that way, i have two ways out. also, not experienced the 'accidental release' that was posted eariler in this thread. it takes quite a slap with both hands to realease this and knock on wood, i have not had to do it yet.

kt

Nimbus2000
Medium Poster

Postby Nimbus2000 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:32 pm

hey Ocean Rodeo users,

is it possible with the Ocean Rodeo bar to ride it "on the knot"? I mean fully sheated out, and taking the load on your center lines without having to keep the bar away from the release ball.
And if this is possible, how to release when you are riding "on the knot"? Do you need to use the chickenloop quickrelease in that case?

Thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”