All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:04 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I had to yell a few times to keep Joes out of the way and DON'T help me.

But what really hit me last session was to see a fellow kitesurfer with some experience to helpme land my kite, the kite was coming down but then a gust hit it at the kite rose a little, my friend jumped and grabbed the trailling edge!!! Fortunately i saw it coming...
How many kitesurfers out there really know what NOT to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:59 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I've had young kids walk in front of us while my wife was flying (and frequently crashing) a Slingshot B2.....unreal. They could quite clearly see that the kite was pulling her around a lot (nice windy day) and it hit the deck I don't know how many times before they just sauntered down and went to walk straight in front of us. I had to tell them to walk around behind us because of the danger of the lines. They looked at me like I was some kind of idiot when I told them it could injure them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:55 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I always have this kind of situation i'm teaching people how to kite and u can clearly see that they r not still able to control it. And joe P comes underneath the kite and starts to look up just under the kite after seing that the newbie crashed it several times i have to shout so people get of the way. Once i had to do some angry management because the person just kept going even when i told it was very dangerous.

Joe P is one of the bigger menaces for kitesurfers. They can fuck up and sue u after saying it was your fault even after u told them it's dagerous.

Deserted beaches is the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Agreed 100% on the solo launch/land & the deserted beaches. I've had to shout, then YELL at people not to "help", but I always later approach them calmly, appololgise, & explain that I was only concerned for their safety. I doubt that Joe Public will ever consider our "toy kites" or their "strings" to be dangerous.

The guy in the first incident should have landed the kite in the water, LE down.

Post subject: Not Joe Public but...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:38 pm 
I had a bit of shock myself helping someone else launch..
I'm a beginner/intermediate kiter (not quite jumping right yet... dammit!)
and I was helping another kiter launch. She was out in the water, as this was a long shallow area off the beach. Winds were on-shore, and the conditions were pretty great. She launched the kite, I turned to walk back from the shore, and got smashed in the back of the head by the kite I had just helped launch!

She had been bringing the kite up slowly, then it gusted and the kite flew down, with only my head between it and the beach.

Not too hurt - more shocked.. but it sure made me think twice about helping someone who I've never seen in the water before.

-charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:44 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I guess we have to be very precise in our words and talk more in a command way. If you have time, tell them everything important before they grab anything.

And one other problem I see:
let the kite get wet!!!
I know it from myself, I want my babies to be dry and therefore we take extra risks. It is so easy, go to a shallow area and then drop the kite.
This way you will always be able to reach the leash or to do whatever (self-landing).

Greets
Toby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:00 pm 
I recently bought a new 18.1 F-one and took it down to my local beach to fly for the first time...
After a few hours on the water i came back up the beach bringing my kite low for my brother to land.
As he grabbed the kite some woman kicked a football through the lines for her little 5 year old to get!
The kiddy obviously ran through my lines to get the ball whilst she ran over and decided it would be safer to part the lines for her kiddy to get through!!!
Just shows you that even when the beach area is clear when you bring your kite down they appear from nowhere without any common sense and dont listen to the shouts of panic!

Luckily no one was hurt!

D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:44 pm 
I was with a friend flying his 4.9 blade in hellish winds. Two little old ladies came over, i though to chat, when one of them reached up and started pulling on one of the lines.

I simply stood back a bit while my mate was suddenly launched 20 meters down wind, then he let go of one of the handles. The old woman was like, shouldn't I have done that? Is your friend ok? I was like how the fuck should I know, and ran to get him.

He was ok and was please he hadn't hurt anyone.

She had the element of surprise. Damn her ;-)

john.e.boy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:55 pm 
Medium Poster

Perhaps its a UK thing but not all the public are dumb f***s.

I regularly fly my local beach solo and so can solo launch and often land my lei's, but if its windy I will always ask someone to help me land (if I can find anyone).

To do this I approach them politely and explain that I could do with some help landing the beast (whilst making the most of the pull its exerting). I explain what the kite will look like when it comes down, to avoid the lines, and wait for me to fly it to them, not run around after it. I tell tehm to grab the leading edge and hold it until I come and take it from them. When I land the kite I bring it righ to them nice and slow - if I'm out of position take it up and do it again, then when they grab it run towards them to take the slack off before it pulls them (you know that a 'pro' caddy will move towards you). When I take the kite from them I am again polite and thank them - and usually have to spend ten minutes shivering explaiing what kitesurf is all about.

In a few years of doing this, I've never had someone refuse to help and never had a kite go out of control due to an untrained helper. Brief them, explain, and don't make or expect them to do any more than catch the kite.

BTW, whatever the conditions I would rather solo launch than ask a non experienced caddy to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:39 pm 
this is one from the mid 90's - powerkiting.
i went to rig another kite and let my lines lie on the beach to claim my spot so no other powerkiter will go there.
to be on the safer side, i chose an aera bit downwind of the beachguests, but i had my kitebag quite far away. the second kite i wanted to rig had a few bridle problems (mistuned huge delta) i had to fix first.
when i came back to my spot with the new kite, i found a group of danish retired people there.
one of the old ladies gave me my lines and handles - obviously they tried to wind em up or something - and made a nice ball of spaghettis.
pleased with there job, they turned to leave, leaving me with my jaw wide open, already staring in wild disbelief.
suddenly, one of the old ladies turned around once more, approached me - to apologize was my guess.
but she took my free hand, smiled at me and put something in it.
when i looked into this hand, i found my cut-off line ends there.
i eventually faded in that moment, because when i realized what just had happened and started yelling insults, these folks were gone.

three hours of untangling and resleeving and a lost kitingday. . .
since then, i watch out for retired danes ;)

murdoc

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2