Forum for kitesurfers
Noabacca
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kooks and Proofing

Postby Noabacca » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:51 am

Not sure if all the no-swap/kook proof systems are the same.

I got the 04 Slingers and the bars and kites come stock with
Knotted mini-leaders and looped minis attached to the larkshead on the kite end of the lines.
I ended up taking them off and using just the knotted ones on the kite, and threw the looped ones away.
I switch out my various bars a lot and just wanted to keep it simple.
Kite has knots, kite lines have larks loops.
DOUBLE CHECK YOUR LINES, that's all it takes to be safe. The sheeths are already colored different between front and back, it's not that hard.
-No-uh

Crack
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Crack » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:26 am

I'd also like to add re: accidents that I have found that kite shops, and some (not all) instructors don't fully explain to newcomers that this is a dangerous sport if not fully educated.

I've seen and heard some instructors, but more so kite shops say how great it is (which it is) but don't explain what can happen if you don't know what you're doing.

I was watching a instructor give a lesson the other day to newbies, after the lesson they came over to ask a few questions as I was setting up, and after explaining how great the sport is I also told them of accidents involving lofting, getting dragged and fatalities.

they had NO idea!

now surely it should be the responisbility of dealers and instructors to fully inform newbies of the potential hazards.

another example which I found totally irresponsible; there was a interview on a national tv show with a pro. female rider at a event in sydney a few months ago, at the end of the interview she basically said to go out, get a kite and have ago!

I was shocked that there was NO mention of the potential dangers or to even have lessons.

I have heard of many accidents where people were being lofted and dragged over xmas due to people being given kites as presents, without having lessons and knowing the potential hazards to themselves and others.

maybe if newcomers were told of the potential dangers first they might show a bit more respect for the sport when starting off, and then the sport won't get such a bad wrap and potentially banned at certain areas.

Return to “Kitesurfing”