Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Helmets: Which are best? Which do you recommend?

forum for kitesurfers

Wolfgang
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Germany, flying GK Sonic 11+8, riding F-One Sk8 35 / Trax 39, Spleene Door 42

Helmets: Which are best? Which do you recommend?

Postby Wolfgang » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:18 am

What is your experience :?:

What is your recommendation (brand, model?) :?:

I wear an older model of a windsurfing helmet which looks like an icehockey helmet. I find it quite comfortable, it has several open spots, e.g. at the ears, so that hearing is not impaired.

Wolfgang :thumb:
Last edited by Wolfgang on Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

oli
Medium Poster

Postby oli » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:44 am

Probably the Gath is one of the best. I have a huge head, and it's the
less painful.
But it's quite expensive...

O.

Ari Raptis
Medium Poster

Postby Ari Raptis » Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:07 am

Everyone seems to use Gath.

The orriginal? surfing helmet.

Only problem with them is the noise generated by the wind ! You start to think there is a gale blowing,until you take the helmet off !

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:20 am

Buy a cheap kayak helmet because you won't be using it long. When you get better, you'll stop using the leash and helmet. I wouldn't buy the expensive and thin Gath. I don't think it would protect you from a heavy newbies board flying at your head. It's made to protect surfers from feather light surfboards, or reef hits.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:27 am

I use a cheap kayak helmet (40 EUR).
Even when I get better, I will still use it. There is no drawback of using it, and there can always be something that hits your head.

It is s small size kayak helmet, brand is Bumper: http://www.kanu24.de/p184.html

Wolfgang
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Germany, flying GK Sonic 11+8, riding F-One Sk8 35 / Trax 39, Spleene Door 42

Postby Wolfgang » Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:32 am

Dwight wrote:...you won't be using it long. When you get better, you'll stop using the leash and helmet...
Well, Dwight, using a board leash is only one potential reason for head injuries. Another major reason is onshore dragging against hard obstacles. Both are not that frequent, but it's the same with wearing a helmet on a motor bike - in most cases you will never take "advantage" of it, and that's good... :) The difference is just that on a motor bike it's required to wear a helmet while in kitesurfing it's our individual decision...

For me, in normal use, a helmet has the advantage in winter time of protecting me against the cold and in summer time against the sun - and I hope that I will never take advantage of other potential benefits of a helmet... 8)

However, most water sports helmets are not specifically made for kitesurfing and there might be significant differences in how far they are suitable for our sport. That's why I'm interested in other kiter's experiences...

oli
Medium Poster

Postby oli » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:38 pm

You're right wolfgang,

I've been already hit by my board without leash, in waves...
Hopefuly not in the head, in the ribs.
Although I wore an impact vest, I got a nice bruise !

Olivier.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:36 pm

Wolfgang I may be wrong but I don't think these helmets are designed to protect your head from direct impacts with hard imovable objects, I'm pretty sure some have a disclaimer that comes with them saying this, so imo they won't protect your head the way a motorbike helmet will.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Helmets: Which are best? Which do you recommend?

Postby RickI » Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:39 pm

Wolfgang wrote:What is your experience :?:

What is your recommendation (brand, model?) :?:

I wear an older model of a windsurfing helmet which looks like an icehockey helmet. I find it quite comfortable, it has several open spots, e.g. at the ears, so that hearing is not impaired.

You make a number of good points for helmet use below Wolfgang. Too many people plan for only a fixed set of possible occurrances while kiteboarding and setup accordingly. Most of the time they will be right and just fine.

A portion of the time, for some among our number, circumstances will fall like a ton of bricks that aren't in this preconceived picture of events and an accident will occur. If they took the care to add a bit of safety gear, a knife to cut that line you are being dragged or cut by, an impact vest to protect your ribs from that nasty impact or a helmet to try reduce injury from that unplaned dragging and impact, etc..

Accidents can and will happen whether we choose to recognize this or ignore the possibility and take suitable precautions. Accidents are happening with regularity as most of us will notice.

My advice is to obtain the best fitting, padded, light and functional helmet for kiteboarding that you can find. Price should be secondary as you are trying to protect the most valuable resource that you have. Many riders use and like the Ace Wake. It seems to be fairly well padded, light, well secured and it isn't that expensive at about $60. USD. There are other models out there that may be worth looking into as well but they should be light, well fitting, well padded, comfortable, have low drag, a good shell, not retain water weight, etc..

If you are looking for optimal performance in a kite, do you buy the least costly one that you can find ignoring all other factors? Your brain and its continuing function are far more important than that. How many people have been saved by seat belts vs. the number that routinely wear them while driving?

More ideas about helmets, selection and related matters appear at:

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2931

It is all about choices, no one is forcing anyone to do or wear anything. Do your research and choose well.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:44 pm

Mr Jo Macdonald wrote:...they won't protect your head the way a motorbike helmet will.
I agree, Jo, but we cannot expect that kind of protection - if there is a really hard impact it will only protect to some extent. By the way, this is probably also true for impact vests. However, theoretically I can imagine that this kind of limited protection could make the difference between a moderate or severe or fatal injury...

Return to “Kitesurfing”