Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

@Sake, Peter Frank et al.: Have you tried AMPs already?

Forum for kitesurfers
Geppy
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Geppy » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:07 am

I bought an AMP 11.9, serial n. 0122, and a 8.7 some days ago.
I'm an intermediate rider, 77 kg, board Martin Vari 140x38.

I used the 11.9 4 times, the last time in very gusty conditions and it works without any problem.
After reading all the folding tips problems on this forum, I was a bit afraid, so I spent an hour and half kiting in very bad conditions (from 8 to 20+ knots) to try to reproduce the problem but the Amp was always perfect.

Compared to my 2001 11.8 Airblast (and like already reported from other people), it seems to be more powerful in low wind but I wasnt' able to understand if it has a smaller range in strong wind.

I tried also the 8.7, but only one time (wind 18-25 knots).
I'm using them without bridles (on the Airblasts I used them) on the Cruise position and even if obviously the bar is harder compared to an AB with bridles, it is softer than an AB without bridle, imho a right compromise between comfort and feedback.

The AMP 11.9 seems to be more stable but at the same time more manouvrable than 2001 AB: no jellyfish problem at the moment, I relaunched the 11.9 from water 4 times and it seems easier than 11.8 AB (it keeps the half moon shape, reaching the window edge easily, while the big AB tends to stay flat on the water).

The 11.9 turns better than AB 11.8, the 8.7 is a bit less nervous than an AB 8.4, the two sizes are more similar between them than they were in ABs.

Anyway the more surpising thing is the lift during jumps.
After the first hour with the 8.7 in strong wind, trying to understand how to jump effectively, I made some of the higher jumps I ever made.
It is a strange feeling: the AB has an explosion of traction while the AMP is more progressive and it lift you again and again, it seems to never stop.

Obvioulsy I haven't used them enough, but the first contact seems very good.

Ciao.
--
Geppy

Wolfgang
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Germany, flying GK Sonic 11+8, riding F-One Sk8 35 / Trax 39, Spleene Door 42

Postby Wolfgang » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:16 am

Sake wrote:I(70kg) can ride the 11.9 with the SX141 from measured 6-8 knots up to about 22 knots...
Buy the way, Sake, this statement of you strongly speaks for a 11.9/8.7 combo, at least for a medium weight rider. The high end of the 8.7 should be high enough then for more than 90% of the wind conditions. I weigh 74 kg and I use a 16.5/12.0 GXR combo with a 140/34.5 board...

Wolfgang :thumb:

Wolfgang
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Germany, flying GK Sonic 11+8, riding F-One Sk8 35 / Trax 39, Spleene Door 42

Postby Wolfgang » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:46 am

Anonymous wrote:Hey Wolfy.
You've answered your own question at the start of your thread. Don't even consider an Amp. You already project too much of a negative vibe towards Wipika kites...
Hi Billy, I'm in the situation that I own very good kites, so if I change my set my expectations are very high and I want to be damned sure that I will experience a further improvement and no negative surprise. And my and other's mistrust in kite companies is highly justified in many cases based on what they "offered" us in the past... 8)

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:32 pm

Wolfgang,

The range the range of the 11.9 and 8.7 is that big that I think you'll never need a 10.3. Regarding 8.7/7.1 it's hard to tell, but because it's mostly gusty when the wind goes >25 knots I want to choose a kite that can handle max gusts and still have power enough in the lulls. Most important for safety's sake. So therefore I have a 8.7 and 7.1.

(For even more wind I decided also for the AMP5.5 but after riding a Hydro5 so comfortable in real strong winds(windsurf 4 - 4.5m) AND nasty gusts I canceled the order.
Still need to test the AMP5.5 of my kitemate, before I decide to go for an AMP5.5 or Hydro5 or Hydro+4.8.

2 boards make a big difference too. Well a wide little rocker light wind board and a small more rocker high end.
In my case a SX141 and Drake/Zeppelin
Last edited by Sake on Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:37 pm

Oh yeah, the designer stuff:

UP's chief designer, Stephan Stieglair.
In case you do not know, UP made years Sails for Windsurfing and later emerged to Paragliding.

More info about thedesignerteam. http://www.kitesurferen.dk/view.php?type=1&id=304 (home of doctor Peter_Frank! :P ) Real nice website! Worth a visit also for their instructionvideo's.

But WTF, if a kite is great I don't care who designed it. It will always be a team. And what about old designers hanging too long to old ideas :?:

Wolfgang
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wolfgang » Sun May 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Hi Sake and other AMP riders!

I suppose you have gained some more experience recently especially with the smaller sizes, such as 7.1 - could you let me / us know some of your impressions, range, lift, flying characteristics etc. :?: :?: :?:

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Sun May 04, 2003 11:37 pm

Still too early, I(70kg) only used it 3 times

For now: bottom range is excellent. From about 15 knots with a Slingshot SX141. Even at this windspeed you can boost high. Toprange somewhere between 25 and 30 for me using a Slingshot Drake 147
Lift=excellent. I'd say the lift is too much for gusty high winds and light riders. Cancelled an AMP5.5 and will be buying a Hydro+ 4.8 or Hydro5(2002) instead. High winds are always gusty overhere.

Wolfgang
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wolfgang » Mon May 05, 2003 7:37 am

Thanks for your info, Sake, and other AMP riders! Please keep us us to date with your AMP experience if possible using this thread as it contains already a lot of useful info on the AMP...

Return to “Kitesurfing”