Forum for kitesurfers
Otg
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

X3 vs Aero2

Postby Otg » Mon May 05, 2003 7:56 pm

Im having a hard time trying to decide if I should go for the X3 or the Aero2. Currently Im using a Mach1 12, wich I love but it needs at least 15knots to let me have any fun. (with my 70kgs+140board). To go along with the 12 I want to get a 16m kite, either an Aero2/Toro2 or a Mach2/X3. This is my second season and im going upwind and starting to learn tricks.. Im quite young (16) also.. what would you recommend?

Thanks/ O :P

THE POWER
Medium Poster

X3

Postby THE POWER » Mon May 05, 2003 8:06 pm

I have just purchased an x3 16m and after using it for a while it is an amazing kite with incredible smooth power delivery and a really big wind range. I think I will be using this kite 90 % now. You can use it when others are on 12s. I've seen the areo2 16 in the air only and it looks like a nice kite as well maybe it will turn a little faster than the x3 as it did not turn as fast as I expected but it will overpower much sooner.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Mon May 05, 2003 8:20 pm

depends on what you want.
when i'm up for a nice little session, relaxed riding and jumping around,
the aeroII is teh weapon of choice - kiting with this one is almost too easy :)

the x3 is more powerful, needs more control and concentration and delivers more upwind ability, lift and control when it gets overpowered.

both very good kites, but different styles.

DRAZ
Frequent Poster
Gear: OR

Postby DRAZ » Wed May 07, 2003 7:57 am

If I can only afford one kite it appears as though the x3 would be the kite of choice. What will I loose going with the x3? I've never owned a high AR kite, what do you mean by needs more control and concentration? Does this mean you cannot simply park the kite and forget about it?(Which is no big deal at all if I get more wind range.)

Thanks.

Shamikaze
Medium Poster

Postby Shamikaze » Wed May 07, 2003 2:34 pm

hmmm.

I used botf the X3 14 and Aero2 14 from friends and found the Aero2 to be more powerfull and faster reaction (less bar-pressure required). But then again, the X3 has a way bigger high-end and remains fully controllable at that point where I foundthe Aero 2 to be a little bit more nervous.

just my 0.02 Euro-cents fro what it's worth ..

S.

THE POWER
Medium Poster

X3

Postby THE POWER » Wed May 07, 2003 5:46 pm

The X3 16 metre can be parked at 45 degrees and left there much more easily than my other kites it gives an incredible smooth pull.

Otg
Medium Poster

Postby Otg » Wed May 07, 2003 5:48 pm

How much wind would I need to get started on the X3 16 / Aero2 16 on a 148X35 board and my 70kgs..

Best Regards/ O :o

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Wed May 07, 2003 9:31 pm

depends on your riderlevel - about 10-12knots.

if you're up for low-end, the aero2 might be better.

by more control and concentration i mean that the x3 delivers the power harder and faster, and flies much less forgiving.
it's harder to jump because you need an exact timing and more precise kitesteering while airborn - if that's given, you're rewarded with more height and hangtime.
surely, you can just park it and ride behind it, thats possible with every powered kite ;)

when the aero2 gets (very) overpowered, it's hard to push it out of the window and keep it there, as well as keeping the egde long enough for big jumps.
in that range the x3 feels more at home.

relaunch will definately be harder on the x3, i guess (haven't dropped it yet)

it's a togh decision between these two

Return to “Kitesurfing”