Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

kites steering to one side

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

kites steering to one side

Postby Guest » Tue May 06, 2003 6:01 pm

I just got 3 new kites (inflatables), and 2 of them steer to the right. So if I have the kite overhead and try to let it stay in place, it wants to turn right. The rate of turn seems to be the same for both kites. Thinking it might be my new bar and line set-up I tried my old bar and it does the same thing. I've been kitesurfing for 3 years and my old kites did not do this. What can I do?

Fatfish98
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Fatfish98 » Tue May 06, 2003 6:05 pm

What brand are they? Naish had a few that did this and they will replace them if they are faulty.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 06, 2003 6:50 pm

Every kitebrand now and then has kites that does not fly straight !

You could try mounting your right front and backline on the left side of the kite, and reverse - and then fly the kite with your bar turned "upside down".

Then you have totally eliminated your lines not being exactly the same length.

If the kite still steers a lot to the same side, it is an "erroronous" kite, and you should be able to get a new one.
You have to test it flying only on the frontlines, and with tight backlines - as it can be totally different !

Be sure your front and back lines are exactly the same length of course.

If it only slightly turns to one side, nothing is wrong.

A LEI does not stay in "auto" zenith like an ARC does, and it will turn to one side pretty fast.
But if it turns to one side a lot (really fast), the kite is not stitched correctly.

francky
Medium Poster

Postby francky » Tue May 06, 2003 8:29 pm

Hello
What is the brand of the kite ??
Does anyone know the reason of this pb ?? One pannel on wrong side ? Twisted when it has benn sewed??

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Re: kites steering to one side

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Wed May 07, 2003 5:00 am

[quote="Anonymous"]I just got 3 new kites (inflatables), and 2 of them steer to the right. So if I have the kite overhead and try to let it stay in place, it wants to turn right. The rate of turn seems to be the same for both kites. Thinking it might be my new bar and line set-up I tried my old bar and it does the same thing. I've been kitesurfing for 3 years and my old kites did not do this. What can I do?[/quote]

Let us know the brand and model of kite?

Some kites made from "Polyfuse" material can develop this trait, can also have it straight out of the bag.
There is a simple fix, that works in the majority of kites I have seen it on.
Pump the kite up firm, indoors.
Look at it to see if it symetrical, see if both wingtips touch the floor evenly on both sides, check the angle of the tip struts (are they both leaning the same way, same angle?)
You will find one side of the kite is "off"?
So with the help of a strong friend, starting from the centre of the LE, twist the LE forcefully every 30cm or so, in the direction needed to re-balance the kite. Keep doing it until you are happy your kite is symetrical and go test fly.
Problem should be gone, if not do it again. If you cannot fix it after a couple of attempts, return the kite to your dealer and ask for a new one.
Polyfuse is used on F-One Mach 1 and 2, Naish Aero 1, Flexifoil Storms in LE only, and probably a few other brands.
It is tough material, and the problem is rare.
Naish had a batch of Aero 2 do it, but this was cause by another problem in production.

Slider
Medium Poster

Postby Slider » Thu May 08, 2003 11:07 am

I thought this was the effect of using a kite designed for the northern hemisphere in the south and vice versa :D Its all to do with the earth's coriolis effect due to spinning in a magnetic field (remember the water going down the bath?) :P
This only affects LEIs due to the compressed air in the bladders - I'm sure PMU will back me up on this - he is an expert on this kind of science. :o

Seriously thou, this can be fixed sometimes by just taking out the le bladder and re-inserting, it taking care to keep twists out and the bladder even. Fixed it on two slingshots. :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”