Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing South of France

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitesurfing South of France

Postby Flyboy » Mon May 19, 2003 3:37 pm

Any one have any info about kitsurfing in South of France around Nice. What are possible beaches & wind conditions end of May, beginning of June.

Supersonic
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Supersonic » Mon May 19, 2003 5:59 pm

Last week I was in Hières. There are two spots which you can choose. First there is Almanarre and second Les Salins. We had great wind conditions. Monday there was a perfect day in Les Salins with wind about 4-5 Bft (14-16sqm). Tuesday and wednesday we had mistral 6-8 Bft. That were hardcore sessions sometimes. We used 8-10sqm kites. On thursday and we had also perfect wind but only for 4 hours. Friday we had another perfect day about 4-5 Bft. from 10 a.m. till 4.30 p.m. I can say that we had a great week. 2 weeks ago there was also enough wind.. From 6 days you could kite 4 days with Kites around 16 sqm.. hope it helped you a little bit

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon May 19, 2003 7:45 pm

Thanks Supersonic! What is the usual wind direction? Also, what is the normal temperature at this time of year: Should I bring a shortie or a 3/4 wet suit?

Supersonic
Rare Poster

Postby Supersonic » Tue May 20, 2003 8:42 am

I had a 4/3 wetsuit. That one was comfortable because the water wasn't warm. 16 -18 degrees. The wind comes from several directions. It depends what kind of wind it is. But you've got 2 spots (Almanarre and Les Salins) where you would find your prefered wind. The two spots are just 10 min. by car from each other. If one side is onshore the other side is offshore.. Mostly its side onshore / offshore or sideshore. Hope it helped you!

j0bo
Rare Poster

Postby j0bo » Tue May 20, 2003 9:00 am

I'm heading down the for 10 day's in July, how far is Almanarre from Nice?
and do you know what the wind is going to be like for that month?

Nice one

J0bo

rufus
Medium Poster

Postby rufus » Tue May 20, 2003 11:29 am

Hyeres should be a 1,5 h drive from Nice. Another kitespot I know is St. Aygulf, south of Frejus. St. Aygulf is about 1 h from Nice.

St. Aygulf is pretty nice, too but probably not as good as Hyeres. You have more options in Hyeres since most of the kitespots are on the peninsula south of Hyeres so you don't necessarily have to rely on the right wind direction but just choose another beach on the peninsula. I heard, there is usually a bit more wind than in St. Aygulf as well.

But anyways, St. Aygulf is a nice option, too. It's smaller, has less wind-options and is not as famous as Hyeres but then again Hyeres is the longer drive from Nice...

Have Fun!!
:thumb: Rufus

oli
Medium Poster

Postby oli » Tue May 20, 2003 12:22 pm

St Aygulf is great with east wind. But, but... too many people on the beach
now !
It's a good winter spot.

rufus
Medium Poster

Postby rufus » Tue May 20, 2003 1:17 pm

Thanks oli,

good point. I have been to St. Aygulf in late September last year. I can imagine that it's crowded during the summer months. Families and fishermen - both not very kite-compatible. :-?

You know of any other spots? I'd have a chance to get to Frejus again this year but St. Aygulf is the only kite spot I could find in that area.

Cheers!
Rufus

Supersonic
Rare Poster

Postby Supersonic » Tue May 20, 2003 4:18 pm

As i can say last week there were only Wind and Kitesurfers on the beach in Hyères. So if you decide to go in the next few weeks it would be the right choice.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue May 20, 2003 4:31 pm

Is it actually possible to kite in Nice or very nearby? I will be with my wife & kids so possibilty for driving far will be a bit limited. I will be arriving May 23, so maybe it's not too crowded yet?

Return to “Kitesurfing”