Where are all the groms??

forum for kitesurfers

justoon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Where are all the groms??

Postby justoon » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:27 pm

Just out of interest how many groms (young riders) do we have up and riding in our sport? Its been interesting lately ther have been a few threads about teaching juniors.I come from an area where the majority of riders are between 14 and 24 and the sport is booming.Nothing like the sight of kids on skateboards and pushbikes rushing down to the beach after school with their kite gear because the wind is up.Gives the sport some life and vibrance.All sports need groms,without groms a sport dies.So If some young fella/girl comes up and asks questions about the sport dont discourage it,they arent all dickheads,give a chance and they might suprise you :thumb:

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sid5150 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:20 pm

I think the price of the gear keeps a lot of kids away. With the new companies putting out reaonably priced gear this year, that may change!

I also think a lot of people discourage kids to kiteboard because of how 'dangerous' they feel it is. The same fools with helmets, impact vests, & bulletproof underwear (But no Q.R. on the chickenloop :roll: ).

The same people who wank for hours at the bar about how X-Treme kiteboarding is, and how they ride the razor's edge between life & oblivion every time they go out.

If people were more honest about the 'dangers' (I honestly experienced more grievious injuries while skateboarding. A LOT more) of kiteboardng, I bet Soccer moms would be much more willing to let precious little Johnny give it a go (If he wears a helmet, and bulletproof underwear).

Sid sends

gottmoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gottmoore » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:46 pm

8yrs old- Flying kites 2 years

I'll have some pics soon.

Look out world,
Its Trip Moore!

I'm not the only Dad like this either.....

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sid5150 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:07 am

NOICE!!! :thumb:

One question, tho - Where did you find a harness that fits him? Or does he ride unhooked?

Can you imagine what the kid will be capable of at age 15? Most 'pro' have only been riding 3 years or so - And most kids are fearless (and, thankfully, Tonka Tuff), with little or no preconceptionson how to do things!

Way to pass on the stoke!

Sid sends

justoon
Medium Poster

Postby justoon » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:34 am

Nice one Gottmore.My daughter is 10 and body draging on a 4m flightkite unhooked but with saftey attached to her harness.There is a 14 yr old here that is absolutely killing it,talk about fearless the kids got steel balls.

Price has been a factor i suppose but the majority started on s/hand and runout gear.now with Best and LF oz dropping the price this should allow more access to other people.Still cheaper than buying a m/bike and easier than a quiver of surf boards.

Heres to the next generation :P

gottmoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gottmoore » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:08 am

Harness:
Visual Elle
XS
by Visual Speed
goes tiny!

Hooked in and 4 lining

CG approved vest for lumps
"hemet" for noggin

ARC 130- practice and 20+
ARC 630- 5- 15max

Boogie board

Dads mutant? We will talk about that one son

Has been dragging behind the old man on a boogie board leashed to my harness
in up to 2' surf

on a boogie board , ITS ALL OVERHEAD

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:47 am

where can you find the visual speed harness?

Any others for small groms?

hello_world
Medium Poster

Postby hello_world » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:57 am

Glen from Rainbow Fins teaches a group of groms every summer at Waddell. They go everyday during the summer months. Some of them are really ripping now.

whitecap
Medium Poster

Postby whitecap » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:33 am

:thumb: My kid just turned 11, and is pretty stoked for the new season. I would not have thought to put a kid through leaning how to waterstart on a poleboard at this age, but kiting leads itself well to young kids.

My second son was bodydragging last year at 8, and I hope to have him going this season. My older boy has already learned that skateboard crashes hurt the most, with snowboard jumps a bit less. While he is not yet confident on a medium swell with a surfboard, he is pretty willing to spin and crash with a kite.

Kids have a lot of fun flying stunt kites. Add a mountain board or skateboard on a big parking lot, and they get the feel pretty quick. We are off to Maui in April, and it wil be interesting to see how he does in that sort of breeze. My smallest kite is a 4, and he is pretty wound on that when I am on a 10...20-25kn. LMG in SF bay made him a sweet 100 cm board 12 " wide that opened doors.

Groms are good!

krazykiter
Rare Poster

Where are the groms

Postby krazykiter » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:17 am

they are at tannum sands - biggest group of grom kiters in oz.. about 20 or so under 20.. and growing, no surf they kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”