Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

MORE THOUGHTS ON BEST KITEBOARDING

forum for kitesurfers

twentyfiveplus

MORE THOUGHTS ON BEST KITEBOARDING

Postby twentyfiveplus » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:39 am

Very interesting thoughts about Best on this site....
I am fascinated with all of the different opinions.

But to me it seems VERY simple.

There is a thing called fear in this world.
When people become afraid they do strange things.....
One of those things is that they become greedy.

We all understand that business is the art of making money.

But in this instance it is obvious that a company is TAKING money from the rest of the industry.

Like EVERY other industry in the world, jobs are created when a product evolves.

Cars, planes, houses...........all of these products supply jobs for people.

Then there are products such as toothpaste, clothing, and food.......

And what Best has done is exactly what another huge corporation did many years ago.

This corporation comes into towns and puts mom and pop shops out of business.
This corporation eliminates the small retailers for the sake of one or two man's profits.

The corporation I am speaking of is WAL MART.

If you want to support Shannon Best and his friends wallet.....go for it.
Rave about the website.
Rave about the kites.
Rave about the boards.

But to me they are men full of greed who are attempting to harm the growth of our sport with their fear.

Why can't they play the game like everyone else?

Why do they undercut everyone.

Because they are afraid.

No WAL MART style kite for me.

I am a human with a soul.........and I believe we all need to learn to SHARE..........
not steal.

Greed is a state of fear.

Trembling Shannon Best and his comrades are not supporting our sport.

I am calling for a ban.

CHECK OUT THIS SITE TO UNDERSTAND MORE ON CORPORATE WAL MART STYLE BANS.

http://www.adbusters.org

Someone in Oregon

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sid5150 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:49 am

:soap:

Sorry man, the "Cheap kites are evil" is a hard bandwagon to climb on. While I disagree with some of the things they do, we really needed a kid like BEST on the block. I'm just sad that China Kites won't be joining them.

Sure, the BEST guys are greedy, but so are the NAISH, North, SS, Airush, OR, FS, PL, LF, and all the rest! They don't make kites for fun, or to advance the sport - Money Makes the Monkey Dance.

They aren't evil & fearful, they just want to sell kites and make some dough. Cheaper gear is great for the consumer, and I hope other companies follow suit. $1800 for a kite is straight up B.S.

Sid sends

sinbad
Medium Poster

Postby sinbad » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:13 am

Hang on a minute, Has anybody really looked at what prices kites are leaving the suppliers.

You will probably find that Nash, Cabrina, North, and others really have the same pricing as Best from the company to the distributors.
What happens is the other companys are protecting there distributoors and shops thats why they have a larger list price.

I dont really think Best is making cheap equipment or cutting corners its just they are doing the marketing and selling direct so they are cutting out any of the middle men which will give them lower overheads. Which goes to show there is a lot of money made by the distributors. And then the local shops struggle and have to discount.

This is probably why the shops do not hold large stocks and spares for the kite Equipment.

But really it is getting the same in lots of buisness you can buy direct and cut out the middle men the factories give a discount maybe 20 - 30% there happy because they probably have made 20% more on that equipment then if they had to sell it through a distributor that they give 50% + of list.

So stop Bagging Best and comparing them to WALmart (have you ever spoken to somebody about items at Walmart all they know is thats one there and it comes in these colors i think. :oops:

Maybe try the product and the service from Best and if its not right then complain if you don't get any service then bitch about them.
I havent seen anybody complain about the equipment or service from Best on this forum (maybe lack of product but they are kept upto date with deliverys)

By the way I have no involvement with Best kites i dont even have one i use cabrina and LF.

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Re: MORE THOUGHTS ON BEST KITEBOARDING

Postby Dax » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:14 am

twentyfiveplus wrote:Why can't they play the game like everyone else?

Heh, "the game?" Sounds like a bunch of guys sitting around setting prices to me. What is this, OPEC?

I'm not sure how somebody coming in and selling good product for half the price and outdoing any level of service I've ever received from anyone else is evil. There are a lot worse things in the world to worry about.

My guess is you are afraid, otherwise why would you be posting here? What are you afraid of? Big Bad Best? They've only been around for like 2 months, and you compare them to the worlds largest retailer? Aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?

Isn't the rest of the industry big enough to deal with this challenge in a way more productive than mudslinging and road blocks?

pjc
Frequent Poster

Postby pjc » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:25 am

I gotta say, twentyfiveplus is the most ridiculous piece of bunk I've read in a long while...

There's really too much disinformation here to try and and refute it all, but I'll make a couple of quick points.

How absurd is it to compare Best to Walmart? Best has like 28 employees. If they are wildly successfull, they will probably have like 100 employees 3 years from now. They are the scrappy underdog, not the bloated monopoly. I'm willing to bet that nobody is getting rich over there, what with their prices so low. In fact, start-ups generally pay less and require more work (the trade off for the employees being more empowerment and the hope of future $$). So at this point, you're looking at 30 guys busting their hump for not a whole lot of dough in order to get inexpensive kites in peoples hands.

You don't have to buy their stuff, but for crissakes, isn't their some bigger villian in your world to yell about?

Personally, I'm on a "nothing but Best" ban myself. I'm mad over the overpriced crap I've bought in the past, and I'm going with the "Best" value from now on.

And one more thing -- Best isn't "stealing" anything. It's not a zero sum game --- Best can make money, and give the customers a great deal, without anyone being robbed. When your business declines because your competition does a better job, it doesn't mean you were robbed, it means you were out-worked.

nir_
Frequent Poster

Postby nir_ » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:06 am

wow - someone has drank alot of coffee here..
dude (25+) where did you pop from?

here's a small advice:

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Re: MORE THOUGHTS ON BEST KITEBOARDING

Postby MissionMan » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:45 am

twentyfiveplus wrote: Why can't they play the game like everyone else?

What? Is this even a legitimate question? Why don't we just wipe out capitalism completely and have fixed pricing structures on everything. Naish, Cabrinha, Caution, Gastra etc all at the same price. Thats the stupidist logic i have heard in a long time.

Just because you're earning a fortune and are happy to pay exorbitant prices for kites, don't drag us down with you. There are many people in other countries that earn less and can't afford 3 kite quivers of new kites without paying their entire salary for 2 months into it.

BROWNEEE
Frequent Poster

Postby BROWNEEE » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:47 pm

you have to admit we have stir'd things up........

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sid5150 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:08 pm

Brownee - Why man, why? I was pretty stoked about Revolution kites. The ULTIMATE low-bottom line kite line. No poster girls, no fancy ads, just the worlds cheapest kites.

What happened?

Sid sends

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: 10 Nemi HP, 15m Flysurfer..
Brand Affiliation: none, formally BEST Marketing Director.

Postby sq225917 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:21 pm

who is this schmuk.

looks like best have their very own PMU.

Return to “Kitesurfing”