Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

It's a question needs addressing

forum for kitesurfers

fokiten

It's a question needs addressing

Postby fokiten » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:47 am

Regards,

We've had bit of discussion about paid kietesurf lessons.

We've discovered there are two and four hour

"all you need to go it alone lessons."

These lessons cannot possibly be anything other than a danger to the public.

We have strickly beach based graduated lessons that clearly suffer from the peter principal; e.g. one rises to the level of his own incompetence,

Students are force to engage in high risk behaviors on land.

Theas are not small operations run out of stationwagons in the parking lot these are Bonafied best you can get, state of the art lessons.

What can we do the stop these people?

Thanks

fo

jahmaze
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby jahmaze » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:03 am

Fo, I think the only way is to still keep posting on forums.. to warn everybody ...

Wibbler
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Wibbler » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:35 am

Who are these 2-hour tutors?
Can someone post a link to an example?
that's how you stop it, bring them into the open...

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:48 am

http://www.kitepower.com.au/cart.php?ta ... ory_id=298

What's interesting is the level one class is a review of the intro class as well.

So what you have is a two hour NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY

" all you need to go it alone class"

Is that just the most fucked up thing you ever saw, or what?

read it and weep

I did
fo

wabz
Rare Poster

Postby wabz » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:38 am

hey, I've had those lessons, and believe they're anything but a waste of time, and I don't agree with this 'high risk behaviors on land.' In my opinion, they way they teach is very low risk. The emphasis on safety there is huge. I'm really glad that I knew how to self rescue before I went out. The initial lessons are done on small kites with very short lines, but enough to get the technique happening. Those guys will not sell you a kite if you do not have the appropriate understandings/skills.

Your alternative is deep water first up, away from the mess where you can fully appreciate the power of full size kites. I don't think this is especially safe, and people will just want to go off afterwards without learning things like self rescue (i can do it, ive been out there!), no?

That said, I think there's room for debate here....

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1991
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V4, 9/14 Enduro, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M Axis 5'7" Kapua, 5'4" New Wave, Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:54 pm

fokiten wrote:http://www.kitepower.com.au/cart.php?ta ... ory_id=298

What's interesting is the level one class is a review of the intro class as well.

So what you have is a two hour NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY

" all you need to go it alone class"

Is that just the most fucked up thing you ever saw, or what?

read it and weep

I did
fo

Me thinks me must have upset dat wascaly puddy tat again,,,!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the plug, traffic on the site will be up this week! :thumb:

Cya and

Al Kiterpower

Steve McCormack

gbgreen59
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby gbgreen59 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:46 pm

There's not doubt, in my mind, that Fo has a good point. What to do about it is the problem. I believe Fo would say, "put um in deep water and let them get thrashed". I would have loved to have a lesson that way. Keeps beginners away from the beach, plus they can make lots of mistakes...learn the power of the kite...etc, etc,

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sea&Sun » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:53 pm

Here is a lesson that looks reasonable

http://www.kiteboardinghatteras.com/Kit ... /camps.htm

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sea&Sun » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:10 pm

Here is one I found that wants you to buy gear after the 3 hour lesson and give you $75 back if you buy it in 30 days. Believe it or not the instructors are PASC. Shows what thats worth. They say you dive head first into kiteboarding in one easy complete package. BUT REMEMBER THIS IS MUCH BETTER THAN NO LESSON AT ALL.

H2AIR KITEBOARDING LESSONS PROGRAM

We are the Mid-Atlantics only Kiteboard specific lesson and retail location. Kiteboarding is the
nations fastest growing water sport and H2air specializes in teaching you the skills to safely get
started kiteboarding. Our instructors are Professional Air Sports Certified, and are completely
qualified to help you meet your potential. H2air will teach you in a safe environment utilizing the
latest gear available including jet ski support. In order to further your skills and fun, you will
probably want to get some gear. We offer a full service shop with a great selection of products
from many manufacturers.

Part 1 $125 - 1 hr
Here we introduce you to the kite and how it is controlled. We will walk you through all the
basic drills to help you master your kite skills. Other topics covered are safety issues, kite
control, "wind window", landing and launching as well as the "power stroke". This lesson
will prepare you for the next lesson.

Part 2 $225 - 2 Hrs
This is the lesson everybody can"t wait for. Water Time is a comprehensive water lesson
that will take you through body drags, water starts, basic board skills, and water
re-launching of the kite. Also covered , safety issues in the water, self rescue and recovery.
Prepare to get wet, this class has about 15 minutes of lecture and the rest is water.

The "FULL PACKAGE" $350 - 3 hrs
This is both the land and water lesson combined. Booking these two classes together lets
you dive head first into kiteboarding in one easy complete package. We will apply $75 of this
lesson towards your gear package after completion of the course. This offer is only good for
30 days.

Private Instruction
Private lessons are available for students that want to learn specific skills such as upwind
technique, jumping, turns, toe side riding, kite tuning and more. Please call for prices.

Requirements
Liability Waiver
Declaration of fitness
Footware
ALL LESSONS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE BUT CAN BE RESCHEDULED OR
APPLIED TO STORE CREDIT.
ARRIVE AT THE SHOP 30 MINUTES BEFORE A SCHEDULED LESSON
UNLESS TOLD OTHERWISE.

LATE OR MISSED LESSONS WILL NOT BE CREDITED
Last edited by Sea&Sun on Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sea&Sun » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:48 pm

Another class aroun 3 hour cliaming
this may be the only class you need to start kiteboarding on your own
Lessons in San Diego and San Quintin, Baja California.

Kite Skills $169
The fastest and safest way to learn how to kiteboard is to develop solid kite skills before you attempt to use a board. During this land based lesson you will rig, launch, fly, troubleshoot, land, and de-rig a full sized 4-line inflatable kite. Other topics include selecting the correct equipment, safety systems, local site orientation, and basic kitesurfing etiquette. The class is usually 2-3 hours, but we work with you until you master the learning objectives, however long that may take.

Kite Skills Plus $229
An extended version of our popular Kite Skills lesson, this class is designed for people who want to finish learning to kiteboard on their own. By the end of this lesson, you will have flown a full size kite on full length lines. You will leave this lesson with the skills and knowledge to safely practice kiteboarding on your own. If you have surfing experience, wakeboarding experience, or are simply comfortable in the water then this may be the only class you need to start kiteboarding on your own. This lesson is perfect at our San Diego location, where there is not always enough wind for the water skills lesson. This class is usually 3-4 hours, but we work with you until you master the learning objectives, however long that may take.

Return to “Kitesurfing”