Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Beginner advice 90 kgs ?

forum for kitesurfers

sunny ozy
Rare Poster

Beginner advice 90 kgs ?

Postby sunny ozy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:40 pm

Hello guys,

I have just performed one week lessons on kitesurfing, and I decided to buy my own material...

My weight is 90 kgs and I want to know which kite should I buy :

CABRINHA 2006 SWITCHBLADE 12m
GLOBERIDER 2006 GK SONIC 14m

What windrange can I expect ?

Thanks

RideLow
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Wipika Free air! <3
Brand Affiliation: Blue Waffle

Postby RideLow » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:49 pm

hey man, for a one kite quiver, its always a compromise..

so you have to think about where you ride and the local conditions it will be used in..

Both kites are good. It all depends on if you want a 12 or a 14.
The cabrinha also got a 2-1 bar with pulleys while the sonic bar is simpler, but with some longer travel...

I think, in winds ranging from 10-25 knots you will be fine on the 14 considering you weight.

if normally you have stronger winds consider the 12.

Talk to your dealers and go for the best price, get a deal on a board and get a complete setup!

Just remember that you are 10-20 kilos more than a typical kiterbum and it will have a big effect on the range of the kites..

Have fun! learning to kite is a cool experience!!

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1991
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V4, 9/14 Enduro, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M Axis 5'7" Kapua, 5'4" New Wave, Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Re: Beginner advice 90 kgs ?

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:29 pm

sunny ozy wrote:Hello guys,

I have just performed one week lessons on kitesurfing, and I decided to buy my own material...

My weight is 90 kgs and I want to know which kite should I buy :

CABRINHA 2006 SWITCHBLADE 12m
GLOBERIDER 2006 GK SONIC 14m

What windrange can I expect ?

Thanks
Get a board around 1.40 to 1.50 in length, around 1.50 if you go for the 12M SB or around 1.40 if you go for the 14 Sonic.

If you can try to demo both, I think you will find the wind range is very similar, especially if you take my advice on board sizes to match the kite size.

You will be most comfortable in the beggining between 10 and 20 knots, then as you progress and start staying upwind you will be comfortable with either kite into the high 20's, at least to 25/27 knots.

My experience in flying both kites is that the SB is smoother and more stable in flight, and has better feel at the bar, which will make it easier for you to feel where the kite is without looking at it. Both kites will do the job.

Cya and
Goodwinds

Steve McCormack

Return to “Kitesurfing”