Dynamic Stopper for your Bar: How To Make One

forum for kitesurfers

screven
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Dynamic Stopper for your Bar: How To Make One

Postby screven » Mon May 08, 2006 9:32 pm

After seeing a demo of the new incredibly elegant and simple stopper system on the new 07 slingshot bars I decided to try and make one up for my bar. This stopper requires no nut and can be adjusted on the fly to any position on your power line between your loop and your power strap or cleat. When the bar pushes up against it it wedges into the bar's hole and stops the bar from moving further. Simply pull the bar back a couple of millimeters and the stopper can then be easily moved with a couple of fingers to another position where is will stay until it is moved again. The lateral force on the two line power line holds it in place. All this with no moving parts or cleats to wear out our power line.

If you buy or have the new 07 Slingshot bar you are all set and need read no further. I decided to make one for my current bar since these stoppers are not available as stand alone products. I went to the hardware store and bought two rubber stoppers, a bigger one and a smaller one, glued them together, drilled a couple of holes in the larger stopper, and integrated this assembly onto my power line. See the attached drawing for description.

This really works. I am still experimenting with the materials, stopper sizes, and glue to make sure it is durable and will post more details once I get it dialed in. Any ideas regarding materials etc. are welcome.

Chris
Attachments
Stopper Slide_2.jpg
Stopper Slide_2.jpg (78.72 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
Stopper Slide_1.jpg
Stopper Slide_1.jpg (81.74 KiB) Viewed 2616 times

kitingkt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitingkt » Mon May 08, 2006 10:26 pm

hey screven,

the drawings are great but, how about some photos? was thinking of doing this to my larger kite and want to see the materials that you use.

thanks for the info.

kt

screven
Very Frequent Poster

Postby screven » Mon May 08, 2006 11:20 pm

So far I have built one prototype that works but I want to experiment with different glues and ways to apply the smaller stopper to the larger one etc. to make sure it lasts for a while. I'll take a picture tonight and post it tomorrow. The other tweek has to do with the hole size in the bar. My bar uses a fairlead with a big hole. Most bars holes are smaller so a smaller small stopper would be required. I might also try to use a solid material like plexiglass or ABS and see how that works.

Chris

foggy UK
Medium Poster

Postby foggy UK » Mon May 08, 2006 11:24 pm

like this one. :D
Attachments
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG (119.17 KiB) Viewed 2528 times

screven
Very Frequent Poster

Postby screven » Mon May 08, 2006 11:43 pm

foggy UK wrote:like this one. :D
It's a bit different in that the stopper is held in place by the lateral force caused by spreading the double lines. This means that the line hole tolerance doesn't have to be very tight which makes it easy to make. The slingshot one is similar but made of molded ABS.

That looks like a nice part though. Did you machine it or is it available for some other purpose?

Chris

mikes
Medium Poster

Postby mikes » Tue May 09, 2006 12:16 am

Yikes!!

I got whacked in the head once by my homemade version of the SlingShot sliding stopper when landing badly on a jump, lines were momentarily slack then, wham, took a good one to the nogin. That hunk of metal could do some damage

screven
Very Frequent Poster

Postby screven » Tue May 09, 2006 12:18 am

mikes wrote:Yikes!!

I got whacked in the head once by my homemade version of the SlingShot sliding stopper when landing badly on a jump, lines were momentarily slack then, wham, took a good one to the nogin. That hunk of metal could do some damage
Interesting. I'll stick with software materials like rubber and ABS. Thanks for the input.

Chris

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001

Postby Tony » Tue May 09, 2006 12:23 am

I believe this is what you're looking for ... something like what Dwight has rigged:

Took it from Dwight's post here:
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2326402&postdays= ... sc&start=0

I have rigged up the same stopper.

screven
Very Frequent Poster

Postby screven » Tue May 09, 2006 12:43 am

Tony wrote:I believe this is what you're looking for ... something like what Dwight has rigged:

Took it from Dwight's post here:
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2326402&postdays= ... sc&start=0

I have rigged up the same stopper.
Yea but with something to wedge the lines when the bar butts up againt the slider while still allowing the slider to be adjusted without lots of force. The diagramed stopper does this perfectly as does the 2007 slingshot stopper.

Chris

Darktanyan
Frequent Poster

Postby Darktanyan » Tue May 09, 2006 6:05 am

Why do you guys need to adjust this on the water?

Do your arms grow longer or shorter?

My stopper ball is adjusted for my arm length.

I used the depower strap to set the desired trim while riding against the stopper.

Return to “Kitesurfing”