forum for kitesurfers

gyru
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

help on wave board size

Postby gyru » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:22 pm

Hello,

I am thinking to buy my first kitesurfing directional surfboard. I like the slingshot 2006 SRT models but I am in trouble on whether it can be better the 5'5'' or the 5'11".

Now my level is: going out confortable in any wind strength, jumping and backlooping. I am learning to downwind in small waves. My weigth is 74.
My home spot has usually light winds (15-22 knots) and choppy conditions, occasionally rideable waves. But I would also like to use this board on my winter trips, probably Barbados or Cape Town.

Which board could be better for me?

Thanks in advance,
gyru

Tweaky
Medium Poster

Postby Tweaky » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:46 pm

I would go for the 6'2" Airrush Converse. Don't go shorter than 6'. I made the mistake of buying a 5"10' thruster and its too small for me at 84kg.

8 months!
Rare Poster

Postby 8 months! » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:55 pm

The SRT's are both ( 5'5 & 5'11) good boards!!

All depends on the conditions!

I have both and use the 5'5 with straps for the faster & bigger wave and the 5'11 without straps in small and slower waves.

I would suggest to you the 5'11. It will work well at your home spot and once you get used to it you can even use it in places like Barbados & Cape Town.

I hope i could help you a little.....
:bye:

Tweaky
Medium Poster

Postby Tweaky » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:32 pm

does that depend on whether you want to surf without much kite power or ride it like a directional? Best footage I've seen on the net is all with the bigger boards..

gyru
Medium Poster

Postby gyru » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:38 pm

Thanks a lot for the useful comments.

8months: Coming from the twintips, I will need to learn how to jibe. Now, how difficult is to ride fakie on the 5'11'' ? Can this be an issue in favor of the smaller 5'5'' ?

And finally, what do you think of the price: 450 euros including a dakine bag for a "used" 5'11'' in REALLY perfect conditions only used 2 times? (If I go for the 5'5'' I have to buy it new for at least +100 euros without the bag)
Do you think there will be any major breakthrough in 2007 so that the board may loose a lot of its value?

thanks again,
gyru

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: help on wave board size

Postby tautologies » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:48 pm

gyru wrote:Hello,

I am thinking to buy my first kitesurfing directional surfboard. I like the slingshot 2006 SRT models but I am in trouble on whether it can be better the 5'5'' or the 5'11".

Now my level is: going out confortable in any wind strength, jumping and backlooping. I am learning to downwind in small waves. My weigth is 74.
My home spot has usually light winds (15-22 knots) and choppy conditions, occasionally rideable waves. But I would also like to use this board on my winter trips, probably Barbados or Cape Town.

Which board could be better for me?

Thanks in advance,
gyru
hey, I am sure the srt's are good boards, I would if you are going to ride small waves either choose a big board, or go with something small, thick and wide. I am looking at the Naish Mutant now for the smaller surf. It is on 5'4'' but 20'' wide and 2.5'' thick, it really look like a killer...

Don't start in big surf, even in waist high surf you get your ass handed to you if miscalculate them...

Alex

8 months!
Rare Poster

Postby 8 months! » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:02 am

Gyro,

Coming from a twin-tip you will have to learn how to jibe (unless you want to explode your back foot in staying toe side, on your way up to catch the next wave).
The 5'11 will not only be easier to jibe, but you will also get more fun & progression out of it. And with a Dakine bag for 450 your looking pretty good...........stilltry to get him down to 400€ though!!

Compared to this years model, the 07 SRT will hardly change, as they have already done a good job!

The 5'5 is narrow & will feel nervous in the beginning, and i use it for bigger and faster waves.

:bye:

gyru
Medium Poster

still doubts

Postby gyru » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:01 am

Guys,

thanks a lot for all your advices, really helping a lot.

I am still in doubt, however, due to the local conditions of my home spot which, of course, you can hardly evaluate.
Here (Rome) we never have "clean" waves, as I said it is almost a chop which can occasionally turn into 1 - 1.5 meters wave. And most of the time they are quite "disordered" always in sideon conditions. This said, surfing with kite is still marginal here. The few pros I have seen use around 5'5''. I heard rumors that the best wavesailor we have here tried the slingshot 5'5'' but he suffered from lack of floatation and asked a custom brand for a very similar surfboard but with more volume BUT only under the feet. Local shops are also producing the first boards, still 5'4'' but thicker and with more volume in the front side compared to the 5'5'' sling, say something reminding me of a fish surfboard (forgive me for my approximation I am not a surfer!).

The point of view of the few "experts" here (most of them never seen on the waves) is that the 5'11'' would be something to be used with VERY small kites only for BIG CLEAN waves (according to the surfers rule big waves - big boards) while the 5'5'' would be something closer to the traditional kiting to be used with bigger kites and more suitable for our small and choppy conditions. So the 5'11'' may be something that could be out of marketing here, even if only for reasons of "fashion".

NOW WHO'S RIGHT? I am getting crazy!!!

Moreover the season here is ending, my programme would be to practice here for one more month (after it gets too cold) and then go to Barbados of Cape Town to see if I really like this business or not. I have the feeling that in these latter places the 5'5'' would serve me better.

Please help!

Larpy
Frequent Poster

Postby Larpy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:22 am

I have to tell you the 511 is a great board, the 55 is too short and harder to use and you need to keep power in the kite as aposed to riding the wave. Look at what the pros that ride waves are using, most are using somthing in the 6 ft range, however there are those that use 56 fish.

I have tried a few boards and have made my own and the 511 is one of the best boards I used this year.

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:46 am

The 5ft 11 will be much easier to learn to switch feet on and get your skills up.
If you want to ride powered in chop on bigger boards ie 5ft 11 pick up a smaller rear fin around 75mm with a thin foil, that will enable you to use the rail of the surfboard more like a smaller board without the large rear fin causing the board to walk around to much, will also loosen up the turns and make it a blast in wind slop.

A larger board with smaller fins will have alot more range than a smaller board with std fins. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”