struggling.....

forum for kitesurfers

BirdnDiz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

struggling.....

Postby BirdnDiz » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:34 pm

Can jump pretty good going out using he waves as ramps,really nice air,roastbeefs,backrolls,etc...But,coming in,i seem to have lost the ability to jump and load up the board.I was riding a Contra Bow 14 yesterday,perfect kite for the conditions(please don't turn this thread into a C vs.Kite thread).I'ma golf professional and when i'm teaching,there are always drills that create the feeling the student should have.Are there any dills,excercises,practise techniques that i could do to try to create the feeling of pop?Or is it just a timing issue with the Contra?WHen i'm,coming in to shore,i have the kite at approx.10.30 am holding the edge,shooting upwind,when i try to send the kite back to 1,i lose the edge and end up with a feeble,useless,almost-ashamed-hope-my-kite-buddies-didn't-notice-that-hop.I need a set of progressive drills to help(First this.....then when that is good,this......etc)

Thanks for any help.

klimber
Very Frequent Poster

Postby klimber » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:54 pm

I had the same problem for a long time also and the problem I had was that the jumps in one direction where going well and fun and I didn't want to jump in the other direction so I didn't notice any progression in that direction.

I had to discipline myself and force myself to jump in the least desired direction. I even had a mental game of rewarding myself with a good direction jump after I had made a successful bad direciton jump. but otherwise I had to force myself to keep trying. it was also nice that even though others were maybe getting a kick out of my attempts, they were still supportive, understood and encouraged me to keep going. I have heard even the really good riders tell me "we are all still learning"

I also noticed that after a week(not by choice) that my brain forgot the bad and remembered the good. In otherwords. Day after day I remembered the bad habits, but after a week off I was amazed at how well the jumps went.

this was my story, maybe it applies to you, maybe not!

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:13 pm

I find the same problem, but I do think it is hit or miss and more to do with the condtions. Basically to jump high you need to set a good edge, but if this is hard because of the fact you are going with the waves, then don't take it so badly. So I just don't bother going big and just do other stuff which'll work in that situation.

Hairy
Medium Poster

Postby Hairy » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:32 pm

When I jump - I get a lot of board speed, I have the kite high (10:30 is good).. turn the kite towards 12 and go downwind slightly (at the same time) almost stalling out the kite before turning upwind to load the kite... Pull the bar in and enjoy the view.

It should only take a couple of seconds. Don't know of any exercises, sorry :bye:

Klaus (c:E
Very Frequent Poster
Style: lousy
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Klaus (c:E » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:31 pm

Hai,

i had trouble controlling my board at all as a beginner when riding in the direction of even small little waves. Reason is the orbital movement of the water in waves. So You´re heading into a current when using a wave as a ramp. Riding out that current helps You out with edging.
Coming in is different. The current while trying to jump will run the same direction You go. The boardspeed trough the water while edging is slower respectively and edging is harder. Try going significantly faster when jumping over the waves while coming in. You might want to go really fast on a beam or broad reach rather than going upwind for jumping off the back of a wave.
Upwind with a Contra 14 doesn´t sonud like fast. It rather sounds like just planning.

On the red bull "upwind" dvd there´s an interesting remark by Cory Roesler about Flash Austin:
"That guy could boost off the back of a wave and make it really impressive."

So You´re not alone 8)
As far as the equipement is concerned: I don´t suppose the Contra had already been produced when Cory said this about Flash :wink:.

Sea You: Klaus (c:E

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:42 pm

If you want to boost, then if the waves make great ramps in one direction, they will usually make trouble in the opposite direction. It's like constantly going uphill (which robs power/speed), and if you're on the backside of a wave when you try to pop, it may be dropping out from under you (no edge). The best I can do is work the kite for extra speed, then after swooping down the backside of a wave, using the trough between waves to jump before the next wave comes - if they're close together then it may be impossible.

The other option is to wave-ride on that tack (if they're big enough to be worth it), but then you'll lose ground downwind and have to make it up on the reverse tack - which is the tack where they are perfect ramps...

Keahi
Rare Poster

Postby Keahi » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:09 am

you prpbably have a strong side and a weak side. It took me ages before i could jump both ways. i giuess it all just practice aswell

Keahi
Rare Poster

Postby Keahi » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:11 am

i mean probably

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:24 am

Go back to the basics and practice a heelside progressive edge until you get the feeling back.

http://www.wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?a=50

BirdnDiz
Frequent Poster

Postby BirdnDiz » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:27 pm

Dwight wrote:Go back to the basics and practice a heelside progressive edge until you get the feeling back.

http://www.wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?a=50
Thanks Dwight,that's pretty much what i did,just riding along,go downwind a little then carve upwind,stomp on the backfoot.Sometimes(rarely)it works and i can actually get some air but to be able to "stomp"the kite has to be at 10.30 ish so i get more of a horizontal jump that lands at speed than a floaty jump.If i move the kite higher,i lose the edge......thinking about just riding in one direction all the time,arriving in Havana and catching a flight back.

Return to “Kitesurfing”