Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

wood vs. foam core, which is stronger

forum for kitesurfers

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Core XR4 7m. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional CF Cruiser Pro 145 and North 135 Select.
Brand Affiliation: None

wood vs. foam core, which is stronger

Postby DSZ » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:34 pm

I have heard that a wood core board is more prone to breakage in hard use than foam. Considering Nobile which is wood core. Has anyone heard of wood core Nobile breakage more than normal?

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: wood vs. foam core, which is stronger

Postby purdyd » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:55 pm

DSZ wrote:I have heard that a wood core board is more prone to breakage in hard use than foam. Considering Nobile which is wood core. Has anyone heard of wood core Nobile breakage more than normal?
go get a 1/2 thick piece of foam and a 1/2 thick piece of wood and tell me which is harder to break

David

hein
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby hein » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:24 pm

many types of wood
many types of foam
it's not that simple
the board is an engineered composite structure
all the materials count
not just the core
finding a balance
that's where engineering comes in

shoalbaysam
Rare Poster

Postby shoalbaysam » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:45 pm

Wood core is generally stronger then foam, I have broken approx 15 foam core boards of various brands. I havent broken any wood core boards yet, which I ve been riding for the last 2 years. Im 85 kg and kite loop with hard landings. In fact I broke my ACL from doing so. In rehab at the moment! Bugger :(

Go for wood if you have a choice, the only thing I have found with wood is that they tend to be a bit heavyer then foam. I have the F one Demon which I would recommend as a good free style board and is built like a bick shit house and is a similar wieght to the foam core boards of similar size.

:thumb: :thumb:

been on the water since 2002

Rogue Wave
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
Style: None
Brand Affiliation: Rogue Wave Custom and Jimmy Lewis boards.
www.roguewaveboards.com
www.jimmylewis.ca

Postby Rogue Wave » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:13 pm

In our experience, custom boards built with 6 lb density Corecell and the correct glassing for the rider, are virtually impossible to break.

Many production boards are built using cheaper foams which don't stand up as well unless they're glassed heavily.

As Hein said, there are many different variables.

Lee

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:25 pm

hein wrote:many types of wood
many types of foam
it's not that simple
the board is an engineered composite structure
all the materials count
not just the core
finding a balance
that's where engineering comes in
i would say it is the skin that is most important for a buckle failure which is where most boards fail as most of the stress is in the skin -

in my limited knowledge of foam composite structures - the foam is there simply to take up space and to seperate the two skins which makes a solid stiff structure

the core is handy for impact loads on the top

i imagine if you marry of the flex of the core and skin right you could do some interesting things

David

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Core XR4 7m. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional CF Cruiser Pro 145 and North 135 Select.

Postby DSZ » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:22 pm

Thank you guys for all the comments. Helpful, that is what this forum is all about for me.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:46 pm

By their website, there is a lot more than wood in a nobile core.
They have a good rep and I have not heard of them breaking a lot.
I would not worry about it.

More thread drift:
Core impacts frequency response/damping/ride quality.
In all-wood or wood core/Eglass boards, core is not as separated from the skins in function as in foam/carbon etc. boards. Machined wood core responds differently to hits in different areas... I make hollow wood boards, they work a little differently from nobile (like -not as well :) ), and definitely weigh more at 2.8-3.3kg :-?
Too bad about the weight, but I get a good flex and ride without having to buy nomex, carbon, kevlar, rubber sheets, etc. Just 3 and 6mm birch ply....
Here's a pic of a rough-cut core next to a similar finished board:
Attachments
145x42+core SM.JPG
145x42+core SM.JPG (46.6 KiB) Viewed 1129 times

Adrian Roper
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: The pooey Christchurch
Favorite Beaches: Pambula River mouth, Safety bay
Style: bit of everything
Gear: Underground/ Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Underground Kiteboards

Postby Adrian Roper » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:44 pm

We have changed to a wood core for all our FLX boards about 6 months ago. Over the years the flex in the boards has become more important and the foam cores (even 6lb corecell) has not been up to handling the flex. The main problem was shear failure in the core and the option was to put stronger and heavier laminates on or move to a better core material.
We now use a light weight timber core and have not had one timber core board break, if fact i am tempted to say we will not have a woodcore board fail! We took one to destruction in test conditions and do not belive this is possible with normal riding.
As a side affect the board has better damping than foam and rides smoother and has better pop. From an environmental perspective the wood is better than the foam as it is not blown with CFC's and it very quick and sustainably grown (approximately 10-15 years)
We used the timber we use now about 8 years ago on pickle fork boards and the originals are still lurking around!! At the time most boards were thicker and flex was not an issue. The thick wood boards were too heavy.
With thinner cores the woodcore boards we build now are only around 6% heavier than our foam core boards but ride so much nicer it is not really an issue.
Thanks Adrian Roper
Underground Kiteboards

tommykite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby tommykite » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:50 am

What do Litewave use?
There boards are so F*^king hard core its nuts..

Return to “Kitesurfing”