looking for wind in aug. where do i go for cheap from Miami

Forum for kitesurfers
xxchris060
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

looking for wind in aug. where do i go for cheap from Miami

Postby xxchris060 » Sat May 05, 2007 12:43 pm

where do i go. I have been to the DR but it is pretty packed. I am looking for a nice place with flat water and a short plane ride over. i want to go for a weekend like 3-4 days. But all i can seem to find is the Dr.. How are the exumas in aug??

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat May 05, 2007 1:34 pm

Exumas are beautiful!

Not sure about the wind, but could be good in August.
Let's see what others say.

Beach info here:
http://www.kitebeaches.com

What about Mexico? Cancun area?

firstcoastkite
Rare Poster

Puerto Rico

Postby firstcoastkite » Sat May 05, 2007 8:34 pm

Check out Puerto Rico! Bryan at Blast Kiteboarding can hook you up with a boat ride and accomodations in La Parguera. It's one of the best flat water spots I have ever ridden. Here's a videoof the local rider Charlie riding there. The wind is consistent in August unless there is a tropical system passing to the north. Flights are cheap, and JetBlue is offering a new flight to Ponce, which is only 40 minutes from La Parguera. Spirit Air also has a new flight to Aguadilla from Ft. Lauderdale for cheap, which is only an hour from there. Bryan lives in Aguadilla, so he can help you figure out a ride down. The wind is a thermally enhanced tradewind, which averages 20-25 knots, but it can be up to 30 knots in the afternoon around 2 when it peaks. Good luck and tell Bryan that Eddie from Florida says hi!
Attachments
IMG_3787_sized.jpg
IMG_3787_sized.jpg (63.84 KiB) Viewed 941 times

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Eduardo » Sun May 06, 2007 3:36 am

for such a short trip you should check statistics in windfinder.com. also windsurfing sites like club-mistral.com. I was planning a trip last year and remember parts of the Caribbean get light by then. Maybe Bonaire is still good.

karen
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

cheap from Miami

Postby karen » Sun May 06, 2007 5:12 am

Exumas are stunning, absolutely!! August is not so reliable for the wind, though. You may get lucky and have some afternoon breezes - if you're set on Exumas, best to watch the forecast then book accordingly. Flights from Miami are pretty inexpensive and quite easy!
Chris is a local there - I hope he chimes in, here...

Yes- Bonaire is a good option. Beautiful and friendly island, and some of the best snorkeling/scuba diving in the world! Water is flat, and you can take a little trip to Klein Bonaire for a day, if you wish. The local kite operation is excellent, and the guys very friendly! http://www.kiteboardingbonaire.com. Flights from Miami to Bonaire are not as inexpensive as some other destinations.

Puerto Rico- yet another good option!! Summer winds are usually quite good, and you can find lots of great kite beaches! San Juan itself, of course, is an option. You can also head east to Fajardo and grab a fishing boat to take you to Palominito Island for a real treat! (Advisement: Pay when they pick you up, not before!!) Or, La Parguera is a flat water dream! Lots of additional options, too. Flights from Miami are abundant and can be very inexpensive!

In general the Caribbean gets good Trades in August, but some islands are more wallet-friendly than others, so don't let a lesser-expensive flight be the deciding factor.

Enjoy!!!
Karen

Beachbum1236
Frequent Poster
Style: All around.
Gear: 13m 2008 Slingshot Fuel, 2008 9m Slingshot Fuel, 2006 Slingshot 17 fuel, 2010 132 Len10 Lunacy, Custom bar configuration.
Brand Affiliation: Exuma Kitesurfing, Slingshot.

Postby Beachbum1236 » Sun May 06, 2007 2:19 pm

Hola!! Yea, By now, the spring winds have begun to become less frequent, but in summertime I can stay upwind on my 16-18m C kite, 140cm board and I am 115kg (250 lbs). There are also beautiful flat water spots which are hidden, and unless you know the area they would be undiscovered!!! Which is why it is still not completely on the charts for kiting yet. I have the site for Windfinder.com It has been very accurate for the past few months and still is. http://windfinder.com/forecast/georgetown

And as you can see, it is not great right now, but a cold front has just gone through and it's the slow winds behind it. During the summer months we get a steady 12-15 kts with the trade winds. if your looking for places to stay heres a site with all of the hotels, the only one i know of which isn't up and running right now, is the Two turtles inn. (the Staniel cay yacht club is not on Great Exuma) I would recommend the Peace and Plenty, they are super nice and during the weekends they have a DJ for dancing. everyone is super nice, and i don't think i mentioned, but the food is great. :D

Chris
Attachments
flat water riding.JPG
flat water riding.JPG (51.2 KiB) Viewed 875 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”