Surftech, best board for an average rider

forum for kitesurfers

D Lee
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Surftech, best board for an average rider

Postby D Lee » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:27 am

I'm new to the surfing world aspect of kitesurfing.

I have asked around at some shops about good surf boards for kiting. Most suggest the surftech brand combined with straps from NSI or the ones from surftech(possibly for economic reasons as well). I went to the surftech website to find it less than helpful. They offer 30 plus boards one can add straps too. Now how is a novice supposed to decide?

Perhaps some experienced riders can help.

I ride a misfit133, weigh 175-180lbs, 6'4", intermediate rider, will be purchasing a 9rebel08 and possible a 12 or 14meter as well. I want a board for 2meter or less waves and possible to use on light days. The kite shops said to buy a epoxy(for strenght) or a stronger one if possible.

Which one is a good choice for a beginner who only aspires to possible reach the intermediate level and l need a bag to travel with it(do airlines charge extra for surfboards?)?

Thanks
a landlocked kiteboarder

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:54 am

hey, well the epoxy will take you somewhere...I'd say if you're looking for strength...go with a kite surfboard. I have an epoxy that gets dings every time I take it out...a friend of mine just broke his third surftech for the season.

Most kiteboarding manufacturers have them...I've given my Naish board a royal beating and they still go..no dings no nothing....the new cabr. looked pretty good...and North has some boards that looks good. Can't say much about the strength on those.

I also have a UG that seems to hold up a lot better than the NSP / Surftech ones...but if you ride them nicely they will hold. I guess it all depends on your riding.

So maybe a 5'10 Naish or 5'8 underground...they are all good board though...so you'd probably be happy with most anyt brands aws your first. It really depends on what you are looking for...there are boards for anything.

edit: the surftech I have is a Ratboy M10 6'1'' Love the board and how it rides, but it does ding way easier than a kitesurfboard. I also liked the Bushman, Rawson, Strech boards...they have so much selection.

Consider putting a layer of carbon under the pads with the insert for footstraps.

a.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:11 am

My Surftech is great, but is not built strong for kiting.

My Rawson 6'2 is my favorite all time board for kiting, but it has heel dents.

Never had this happen with a surfboard built for kiting.

Another point, you need a lot of experience to locate the stick-on pads with inserts correctly. Better leave the surftech purchase for hard core guys with experience.

jesserichman
Medium Poster

Postby jesserichman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:50 pm

Hey Dude, I ride surftch boards and I love them.

There are a lot of boards to chose from and looking at there site can be over whelming some times but I for an average guy I would recommend a few different boards.

First of all The Surf tech strap pads allow you to take any surf boards and put thees pads on it and it has straps. Not too hard at all.

So check out the pads:
http://shop.surftech.com/product_p/stpd ... h-pads.htm

Then for boards, all the boards from surf tech I have found to be very strong and sturdy, no problems at all. I ride the 5.1 Pyzel a lot and love it but that is a very small board. Others like the Stretch Fletcher 4 are great 5.9, 5.11, 6.1 and so on. then the 6.1 Weber is super cool. And then there are boards like the 5.10 Rat boy squash. It all is preference.

I think the Weber boards would be good for you though, great for small waves, light wind and totally surf able.  

Then check out the DaKine board bags, most air lines charge any were from 20-80$ but try and convince the porter to let it slide, Cash helps.

Links:
http://surftech.com/boards.phtml?type=k ... thumbInc=0

http://www.dakine.com/travel-bags/surf/

Hope this helps, let me know if I can help you in any way.

Jesse

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:21 am

My advice.
look at the Naish 5'10" or 6'1" 2008 they look like the real mccoy.
Only boards that don't brake that easily.
Nico

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:48 am

For early planing and glue on pads and a great paddle in board for anything but real top to bottom stuff, go the Surtech Tuff Light Xanadu 5'10"Wave Rocket with alternate fins for the kite boarding application and stock fins for surfing. Not a board to be jumpng all the time but goes in a bug fart. For durability in a board over 5 foot, the Undergrounds are the best we have used. It's easy to make a strong short directtional. Get real wide, like a fish or over 6'4" and you have a real build quality engineering feet. UG does pretty darn well. Not a cheap cobra factory pop out. Prices also quite fare. Good luck.

kiteboardkorea
Medium Poster

Kite board

Postby kiteboardkorea » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:09 am

Go for a decent surfboard,

these work the best I have used so far and are far better than any kite manufactured popout board.

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/tech2.php
Attachments
tech2.jpg
tech2.jpg (62.6 KiB) Viewed 820 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”