Slingshot CL rope removal

forum for kitesurfers

travisjonak
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Slingshot CL rope removal

Postby travisjonak » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:07 am

I'm tring to change my chicken loop rope on a 2007 profire bar but can't seem to get the rope out of the bearing in the chicken loop assembly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PGH
Frequent Poster

Re: Slingshot CL rope removal

Postby PGH » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:40 am

If you've got just the round metal bearing left on the rope : i just cut the rope either side and tapped it out with a screwdriver and hammer.
If the bearing is still inside the plastic barrel that has to be pulled out ..I push on the rope and use pliers on the square splice to pull (this is the hard part)

Tip: when you put the new one in make sure you pull it through as much as poss so its as tight as you can get it ,and then when the barrel (with the cleats on) goes on really stretch the chicken loop as otherwise you'll end up with a gap between the two barrels which will trap the 5th line.

hope this helps
pete

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ian c » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:10 pm

i used long nose pliers that i clamped in a vice. some come out easy - some are so stuck you need the vice. I sewed on plastic tubing to the first 15cm of the rope coming out of the bearing and it lasts about 5 times longer now. 8 years after wipika introduced a depower rope that did not wear out at all due to plastic tubing cover (like cabrinha do +hadlow pro bar?) and it is still a really annoying issue for so many setups.

It does my head in - it is the single reason i stopped riding naish gear as it has "designed to wear out" consumables and only replaced by naish product - ie worn rope = $60... gotta be near a nasih dealer. Their 5th line setup is simply over complex what with everything sewn up. It take me a 1/5 of the time to untangle my kite compared to my friends torch after a rolling in the surf

toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: folly beach
Gear: Flex Ion Two, Naish Torch , Slingshot Octane
Omega board

Postby toddsphresh » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:28 pm

could you please explain how you sewed the PU tubing on your center line? i agree is completly fucked the amount of kite company's that don't put PU tubing on the center line. it should be mandatory for safety reasons alone not to mention that a PUcovered center line also works better, slides more smoothly. :thumb:

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ian c » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:07 pm

sure

buy 15cm suitable diameter tubing - some boat bits places sell it - black tubing.

put together your new depower rope

slide tubing over - tight - use a kiteline larks head to pull it through using sticky dacron wrapped around rope - ie needs to be strong.

sew through whole thing at base with heavy duty sewing thread and needle - just to hold it in place.

hmm - i take photo...

it is not teh ultimate sollution but it is going to last WAY longer now as this is the part of the rope that wears quickest. Ah yeah the metal inserts fall out of the 07 bars and stab your hand- but i like slingshot kites anyone got an 07 7m fuel for sale with little or no use (kite only)
Attachments
P1040086 (Large).JPG

Return to “Kitesurfing”