Pigtail help on Rhino 08 n14m

forum for kitesurfers

Freddy B
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Pigtail help on Rhino 08 n14m

Postby Freddy B » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:42 am

Just recieved mine today and got out. Can you ride the kite right out of the bag? or did anyone have to adjust pigtails?

I put mine up in about 12/13 kts with gusts to 15. It felt like it had no power at all. I tried again after moving it up to the last knot on the bar. That helped significantly, but it still felt like I could use an inch or two more of sheeting. I was riding my 10m on the middle knot, and it felt fine. There weren't any pigtail extensions to take out, so I'm wondering if mine were too long for some reason. Do you know the measurement on yours?

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Pigtail help on Rhino 08 n14m

Postby Wetstuff » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:59 pm

Fred: I pulled my R14 out of the container and - thankfully - the bridle was well marked with cloth tags at the ends where they attach to the L.E. ...

The single pigtail coming off the T.E. end reads: R8 14.0 (next line) E- 231cm

Then, from center out along the L.E.:

A- 486cm

B- 215cm

C- 332cm

D- 263cm

I hope that helps. Mine seems to fly fine. ...but then I'm probably not smart/good enough to know when it is not?!

I have 9M and 16M R-07's ...along with a brace of R-'06's. It's funny, I always keep a couple of other brands, but I always seem most comfortable with Rhinos. I am not good enough to say why; other than how they feel. Cheers.

j i m

Freddy B
Frequent Poster

Postby Freddy B » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:10 am

Thanks. I was out again today and it felt pretty good after moving up to the last knot at the bar. It may be just getting used to the feel. It felt really loose to me yesterday before the small adjustment, but if I tighten it up too much more, I may be oversheeting in the power loop. I guess there just isn't much power in the kite until you get it moving. I'm so used to light wind kites having pull when you have them over your head, but with one sign, this has plenty of pull.

I still have my old R6s too. I just got rid of my R4s actually. I too have always like the Rhino, I think it is due to the sailing background. The kites have always performed like a high performance sail. I've liked other kites. But for me, Rhino sets the standard of performance I expect. And I don't do the crazy stuff, but I think with regards to the racing and speed field, the rhino was designed with high aspirations.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wetstuff » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:55 pm

Fred: I don't know your weight but this is a moderate wind kite for me - puffs up to about 20. Unlike the old Vegas or real early R16, 18, 20s ...these don't seem to get overpowered at 1kt over their normal range. Maybe that makes them later to come into it also..? I used to get the sh/t scared out of me when full depower didn't have the desired effect on those early kites.

I might get to use the 14 tomorrow. I'll see for myself. First time out this year!!!

Cheers.

jim

Coyote37
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Hospitalet Infant
Favorite Beaches: Riumar
Style: freeriding
Gear: Rhino 14 08, Rebel 10 07, Jaime Pro XL

Postby Coyote37 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:25 pm

Freddy B
I've got my rhino14m '08 last year after having '07 and '06 model same size.
At the begining I was lost, I felt really low bar pressure, low power and I thought the setting of the kite was totally wrong. I mentioned this on the forum ( you can search it by author and Mr Wright advices me just do nothing, he said it was just question of getting used (at that point I coudn't belive at all). After 3-4 times I started changing my mind, and In about 4-5 I started thinking it was the better kite ever flown by me.
After one year everyday I'm more happy with it and I start hating old models
so, my recomendations:
do not change anything or just really minor changes and get used, the kite for a low wind, hang time, speed, and heavy guys is just amazing.
if after 5-6 time riding you are not happy try major changes.
hope it helps

Freddy B
Frequent Poster

Postby Freddy B » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Once I made the adjustment to the upper knot at the bar, the kite handled well. On the middle knot, you had to pull down on the bar just to get the kite to turn. It's tuned pretty well right now.

It will be interesting to see what the 10m feels like with the adjustment. I wonder if it will feel even more powerfull to me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”