Naish, North, Slingshot (X2 > Fuel)

forum for kitesurfers

vide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Naish, North, Slingshot (X2 > Fuel)

Postby vide » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:25 am

I have been using Naish X2's for almost 1 year now. before that ARX, AR5 etc. etc. I like my X2's and do manage to get some ridiculous height from them at times.

Yesterday I borrowed a friends Slingshot Fuel and loved this kite. It doesn't have the 'rip you off the water and fling you into the atmosphere' feel of the X2, nor as sharp response or noticable depower, but it was just more enjoyable to use.

It was smooth, I still got plenty of height, and I found that after 45 minutes I was pulling off moves I struggle to nail on my X2's. I have always been into boosting big crazy air and landing super hot, but I am now thinking I want to progress further with more technical moves, and this is definately harder on the X2. You get completely spanked when you get it slightly wrong with the X2. You go up like a rocket, and then come down like a rock when you get out of shape or too much input twists the kite in the air and it looses stability.

I am guessing this has a lot to do with the aspect ratio, fast shallow foil of the X2, and line set-up. I think that long centre leader on the Slingshot actually serves to dull the turning a little and keep the kite stable. The Slingshot still goes exactly where you want it to go, but requires less attention than the X2.

But, I do still like the responsive depower of the X2, and the hangtime and control when super powered. I also get a good deal on Naish gear - but am now starting to think I might change kites.

So... Has anyone out there used X2, Slingshot and either Aero II, Rhino II or Toro II?

I am guessing that Rhino, Aero, Toro are somewhere between the characteristics of the X2 and Slingshot (in that order).

Specifically, has anyone used the Aero II and Slingshot Fuel? How do they compare? What do you think of the Aero II? Anyone out there converted from X2 to Aero II and how did you find the switch?

Before riding the Slingshot yesterday, I thought I'd wait for the X3 or get a Rhino II, but I am now thinking that a slightly lower Ar kite might be the go. I don't want to be world champion, I want to have fun and progress. I would call myself a very experienced kiteboarder.

Any advice?

DT

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:09 am

David,

We're on the same page here. Let me tell you a story :D

Yesterday I tested the 2003 Lift 15.5 vs Toro2 16m.

The turning quickness was a hair slower and the bar pressure a hair higher on the Lift, when compared against the Toro2, although so close,
some might disagree. The Lift did not sit farther forward in the window, or seem racy by any means. The Lift did require more attention for hands free flying. The Toro2 would auto-fly itself. The most significant difference was smoothness of power. I felt small punches from the wind on the Lift. Almost like turbulence from a kite passing upwind of me, but far less intensity. These are very tiny pulses in the kite. (The Lift is a real good kite, I don't want anyone to think otherwise). I thought maybe the wind was punchy. Then I switched and rode the Toro2. The wind felt "buttery smooth". A sweat difference for sure. There was something better about the Toro2 profile that the wind was seeing.

I wondered why the Lift felt this way. We know it's famous for being a flat racy X2 like kite. Well, this is what I was told when I asked someone wiser than me. :wink: "It's hard to get consistent power with a flat profile. The wind sees a bunch of curve at the LE, then flat. The transition is too sudden."

The Toro2 is a high aspect kite, like the AR5 and ARX, but not a flying ribbon, like the X2 or Rhino2. The Toro2 immediately gives you the feeling of being "at home again". It's amazing to be so comfortable on the water with a fast turning kite. It must be the supreme stability and smoothness of flight that contributes to this. The Toro2 has great range and stays out front, yet doesn't go to the extreme. I really expected the 2003 Lift to be way racier and be way out front compared to the Toro2. I didn't think the Toro2 would match up in this area because the kite is so user friendly. I was wrong, the Toro2 does match up to the Lift. It is not a low aspect dog. It's every bit the equal to many high aspect kites, yet with that fun feeling. It gives up a slight bit to the Rhino2 in hang time, yet still far exceeds the hang time of "ALL" 2002 kites. :D So you can see, its a truely high performance kite that can kick the ass of anything built in 2002. I'm getting the best jumps of my life. My jump height and hang time with the 16m is better than what I got with a 12m kite last year. That's going huge by any standard.

I will be riding all Toro2s this year and selling my Rhino2s.

The important point here is, these kites, Toro2 and maybe Aero2, now have performance high enough to take customers away from kites like the X3, Lift, Rhino2, etc.

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Rhino II or Aero II?

Postby vide » Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:15 am

Thanks Dwight

I have decided to get a new 14m kite ASAP. it's either going to be a Rhino II or Aero II. Anyone have any recommendations?

I am coming from 14m X2. Anyone used this and also and Aero II or Rhino II?

Cheers,

David

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Rhino II or Aero II?

Postby Johnny TBKS » Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:22 am

vide wrote:Thanks Dwight

I have decided to get a new 14m kite ASAP. it's either going to be a Rhino II or Aero II. Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers,

David
OH.....well...I HAD some suggestions, but is of no matter now is it? Looks like you've made up your mind. Enjoy you rnew kite.

Johnny

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:34 am

hmmm Im with U Jonny... very strange to have your eyes opened by riding Slingshot then changing to something else??
A 13m fuel would be the go but whatevers

shunter
Frequent Poster

Re: Rhino II or Aero II?

Postby shunter » Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:32 am

Cheers,

David
David

I have had a quick spin on the R2 14 in gusty overpowered conditions and found that it was very twitchy like most other high aspect kites that i have flown in gusty conditions it also had heaps of lift across the top of the window which i didnt like. Dont know if that helps.

BTW i have also decided to go to lower aspect kites for the rest of this summer and comming year. The Toro2 will not be avaliable untill May this year here in Oz at least that is what the local shop has said.

Sold my 12m RRD ST and have now got a new kite comming this week and typically we have got 20-30 knots forecast for the next few days

have fun shane

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:57 am

I am now thinking Aero II, but I want to try one first.

I really liked the Slingshot, and think they are great kites. I just think this is going too far down the grunty, floaty kite route for my style of riding. (Coming from an X2 this is a big shift). I want to go more like the Slingshot, but not all the way there.

DT

8)

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:12 am

Does anyone know when the Toro II will be avilable in Australia?

jpont2000
Medium Poster

Postby jpont2000 » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:34 am

Cheers,

David
I have the 16 and 12 r2. The kite does have a lot of lift and stays in the window. If you're sailing on a gusty spot, get something more like the Toro2. The depower should be better. I honestly think the r2 will be best in a "hawaian" type wind (laminar).

José

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:35 am

David - I´ve tried the same shift from X2 to SS Fuel 13! 8)

IMO we´ve had a semilar experience - Monster AIR vs Technical Tricks.. :D

I´ve also tried the AERO II 14, and must say that you´ve have to have in mind that the AERO II is not a high performance kite - The SS is!!! IMO the SS is much more technical to fly, and when u get used to it, it will take you to the same hights than your X2 - U just have to get used to it the same way that u did the first time u really pulled the X2 backwards.

A wider perspektive is that in 2003 u wont find any kite which doesnt work. They just work with different segments in mind!!!

very rare poster :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”