KITESURF INJURY

forum for kitesurfers

coxy
Rare Poster

KITESURF INJURY

Postby coxy » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:17 pm

Hi Guy's!!!

Looking form some advice on this one !!

Two weeks ago I fell about 15-20ft after my harness line broke during a jump and as a result I landed hard on my right foot with the board still attached.

After a 7 hour wait in the local hospital (NHS) i eventually saw a doctor who diagnosed a break in my Metatarsal, and also a partial dislocation of my toes.
I have since had an operation to insert a couple of screws and a cast fitted for six weeks.

The cast is being removed on the 18th of March and me and the girlfriend are due to go to Cabarete on the 20th for two weeks of Kitesurfing.
Question is will I be able to Kite at all on this holiday or should I just practice my Kite catching and launching skills for two weeks?

Any info advice from those in the know would be appreciated.

Thanks

Coxy

ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: KITESURF INJURY

Postby ed257 » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:22 pm

coxy wrote: The cast is being removed on the 18th of March and me and the girlfriend are due to go to Cabarete on the 20th for two weeks of Kitesurfing.
Question is will I be able to Kite at all on this holiday or should I just practice my Kite catching and launching skills for two weeks?

Any info advice from those in the know would be appreciated.

Thanks

Coxy
Coxy,

Who would know better than you and your Doctor? Why are you asking us? Every injury is different. Only you know how you feel at this point.

Eduardo

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:53 pm

I Don't think that you'll want to read this but i am going to answer your question anyway. the answer is NO.

After having your leg in a cast for 6 weeks, you'll find that your leg muscles will serisiouly be weakened your calf muscle will be like jelly.

you'll have to use crutches for the first few weeks. When i got my cast off, i couldn't put any weight on it, it felt so weird. it may take a couple of weeks/ months till you ready to fly, Best advice I can give you is listen to your Phsyio and do your excerciese.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But good luck with your recovery and i hope you can prove me wrong...

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:12 pm

metatarsals sounds not as bad; a broken ankle would be much worse.
http://www.foottalk.com/dorsfoot.gif
Cheer up!
ccat[/url]

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:22 pm

Kitesurfing Injury

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:37 am

Yeah, that's very helpful Eduardo, you rude muppet !!

Unless you have something constructive to say i suggest that you don't bother saying anything at all!!

To Kiterdude and the Guest who both supplied me with useful info, thanks very much indeed, I'll let you know how it goes!!

Cheers,

Coxy

offshore?
Frequent Poster

Postby offshore? » Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:08 pm

alright here we go again - the info you got ed257 and kitedude are both right!
you need to ask the doctors (they wont know what kitesurfing is so explain)
you probably wont get any physio organised as not normally necessary but you can ask if you want- probably get seen a couple of times

if the injury (post surgery) is only 6 weeks i would advise againgst kiting or jumping as minimal/moderate new bone formation (i know its pinned) so will be weaker

basically probably another 6 weeks on it before kiting roughly- but your'll know
you should be full weightbearing on it (no crutches ) once the cast is off but your doctors will advise

(physio)

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:01 pm

Buy some decent stiff walking boots & you'll be fine... I shattered my metatarsals playing rugby & within 2 weeks of taking the cast off (do plenty of exercise whilst it's on) I was mountainbiking, not quite the same stresses on the foot but as long as you've got support around it I reckon you should be ok. If it hurts, stop.

Windowlicker

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:46 pm

i can tell you that my arm wasn't usable for about 3 weeks after i broke my wrist snowkiting and had a 6 weeks cast.
all the muscles gone totally and the whole thing stiff as a stick, i needed to stretch the hand and it took about 3 months to get it back the way it used to be.
i guess with the foot it's nearly the same, you'll have trouble moving it and all your muscles will be gone - so even the 'normal' stuff like standing could be hard ...

sorry 'bout that!

chassan
Frequent Poster

Postby chassan » Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:41 am

I suggest you postpone your trip for at least a month. It's going to hurt for sure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”