Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2003 BlackTip 17m2?

forum for kitesurfers

2003 BlackTip 17m2?

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:14 am

Hi guys,

I'm a novice in kiting and weigh around 80kilos. I need a kite that I can get going in even under 10knots, but which can handle gusts of even 20knots? Is BT 17m2 2003 then what I'm looking for?
Hearing that Blacktips should have nice depower system or is it?
How's the stability and how's the kite's jumping abilities meaning is it easy to crash the kite when jumping (I mean from the novice point of view)?
Is the kite too fast to handle, currently I'm kiting with cquad 4.2m2 and snowboard?
how's the quality of Blacktips, I heard that they haven't been the most durable ones before???

Any comments much appreciated.

markusf
Medium Poster

Postby markusf » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:25 pm

anyone?????

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: 2003 BlackTip 17m2?

Postby RickI » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:16 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hi guys,

I'm a novice in kiting and weigh around 80kilos. I need a kite that I can get going in even under 10knots, but which can handle gusts of even 20knots? Is BT 17m2 2003 then what I'm looking for?
Hearing that Blacktips should have nice depower system or is it?
How's the stability and how's the kite's jumping abilities meaning is it easy to crash the kite when jumping (I mean from the novice point of view)?
Is the kite too fast to handle, currently I'm kiting with cquad 4.2m2 and snowboard?
how's the quality of Blacktips, I heard that they haven't been the most durable ones before???

Any comments much appreciated.
I weigh about 80 kg and my BT 17m2 2003 just arrived about ten minutes ago. The wind forecast is actually a bit stronger than best for this kite. I was told that for a guy that weighs about 70 kg and who rides at an expert level that he uses his on shorter boards in about 10 kts. up to around 17 kts.

For us heavier guys, we might be able to make 20 kt. gusts, maybe. Of course you could always rig 20 m lines and even ride a smaller board to squeeze out more upper end.I should have some time on it as well in the next several days and will report back. As a new kiter taking anything as large as a 17 m out in anything close to 20 kts. is ill advised and to be avoided.

As an aside, I went out for the third time with the BT 12m2 2003 last weekend, in what I thought would be underpowered conditions. After five hours of great jumping, I am not quite sure what the wind range is of this relatively small kite, particularly on 30 m lines and with a long directional. These BTs do love to jump though!

The kite is quite stable and has a "light" feel in the air. It is also fast but not overwhelmingly fast in my estimation. I understand the 2003 17 m is fast as well considering its larger size. Normally I would never advise a new kiter to start with a four line LEI. I feel that there is a wealth of knowledge, skill and precaution to be gathered from spending time with a two line setup first. That is my view on this but others see nothing at all wrong with putting a new kiter out with a four line kite. In either case adequate professional instruction is indicated.

Rick Iossi
Last edited by RickI on Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:34 pm

The '03 17M BT is a GREAT kite! In fact I've flown the 10M,12m, 14m and the 17m and they are ALL great.

As a novice, I don't think you will be able to fly ANY 17m kite in 20! Having sd that, the '03s do have great depower.

As far as construction, the 03s are as good as ANY kite on the marrket, and maybe better than most. The problem in the past was with the 2001, and the was a bladder problem only, the rest of the kite was as good as any other for that timeframe.

The 03 Cabrinha BT is a great choice...just don't be too disappointed if you can't hold it down until you become proficient.

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:13 am

Can you tell me something about the blacktip windrange, especially the 17 m?

rory

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:41 pm

I have a BT14 and a BT17 on the way.
I owned last years BT9.4 andf BT15.5
I have sold the 9.4 but will probably keep the 15.5 for my super light wind kite.

Some info about me-
I've been riding for about 12 months.
IMPORTANTLY I weight 110kg.

I find that I can get out on the 14 in anything from about 12 knots (grovelling on my big directional) to about 30 where I am really having to hang on on my Prankster 150 with wake bindings

I have also tried several of the other brands of kites too...
I can't speak for the 17 as I havn't got mine yet but I reckon that something in the 10-14m range shoul be you commonly used kite.

Ifound the 03BTs VERY VERy VERY much faster than the 02. They don't look any more high aspect, but, they are very well tuned for speed and I can get great hangtime- just need to make sure you pull the bar in when jumping.

The powerlock bar is a MAJOR improvementr on last year. Is very light and sexy. You may or may not like the Sowerlock system. I do quite like it becuase I never tend to ride in the fixed harness loop anyway (I just found it got in the way). I only generally use the Powerlock when it is very smooth conditions. Otherwise I tend to ride with the bar just at the end of my reach. I had one minor issue with the powerlock bracket slipping around on the bar- I think this is known issue so just dive into the dealet.

I can't really comment on the safety system because I didn't use all of it and instead installed my system. One VERY nice feature in the inclusion of free floating sleeving on one each of the front and read ines. Thius lets you easily tie in a stopper ball for a reride leash system.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:58 pm

I got out for a short two tack run with the BT 17 m 2003 on Friday. The wind was vanishing very fast and was probably 6 to 7 kts. by the time I quit. It was doable with a long directional and 30 m lines but not fun.

I finally used the Cabrinha bar for the first time yesterday with the BT 12 m 2003. I had been using a long, two year old Airblast bar for the last four sessions. I was impressed, very light bar pressure and good responsiveness. The wind wasn't that strong, generally below 16 kts. outside of the odd gust but still the BT boosted nice nice airs all the same. These kites do like to jump.

Rick Iossi

Return to “Kitesurfing”