Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Aerodynamic Superiority of Inflatables over Rams

Forum for kitesurfers
Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:01 am

There must be an explanation for the better aerodynamic handling of inflatables, for their domination of market share, and for virtually all pros choosing them for competitions.

To this end, I've summarised the aerodynamic reasons for the superiority of inflatables:

1: Lift to drag ration (L/D)
- The highest L/D ratio is not always optimal. A high L/D ratio is critical in large kites because they move slowly. Large kites output steady power but generally lose out in ability to turn suddenly and generate sudden upward pull.

- Because large rams (eg Warrior 16.5) have a HUGE "D" coefficient compared to inflatables, they are unable to generate the sudden upward power spikes.

- For this reason, large rams can pull steadily enough, but will ALWAYS lack the jumping ability of a large quality 2003 inflatable.

-Small kites move rapidly and therefore have large power spikes. These kites are INTENTIONALLY designed to move slower by ram and inflatable manufacturers. The lack or presence of a leading edge/ram cells is really irrelevant in the small sizes since SLOWNESS is a virtue in these sizes. The things to look for in these sizes are luff curve, chord, aspect ration for aerodynamic handling.

- Small inflatables are better than small rams because they have a semi-rigid structure. This improves consistency, stability of turning, and precision in handling. Tip battens (present in inflatables - not in rams) enable precise turning control. They also lower the centre of gravity of a kite, which increases the stability of the inflatable over the ram.

These are the reasons for the aerodynamic superiority of inflatables.

Inflatables are also superior because:
- They are more stable in rotors/gusts
- They have better low end and top end than rams
- They are easier/less hassle to setup and packup
- Beginners find it easier to learn on them.

nicolasc
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby nicolasc » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:07 am

more, the rigid structure make a more "precise" kite inducing a more depower ability and a better stability for infaltable kites.

Finally, the inflatable kites are the only ones who spontaneously take a perfect shape without bridles. This is the best ability, we can't control the nature...

anthonyd
Frequent Poster
Gear: North Kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby anthonyd » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:45 am

Hey pump it up,

Give it up!!!!

You are boring us all!!!

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:25 am

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz........Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...Zzzzzz

cyclone
Frequent Poster

Postby cyclone » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:38 am

First, open your mind...(this is the hard bit)
second, go borrow an F-ARC...
Third, take it out well powered and then come back here and tell me there aint no lift "SPIKE" in it...

BTW- what does coefficient mean? Dont go and look in the dictionary...
Tip battens (present in inflatables - not in rams) They also lower the centre of gravity of a kite, which increases the stability of the inflatable over the ram.
Go have another look at that F-ARC again...
Small kites move rapidly and therefore have large power spikes. These kites are INTENTIONALLY designed to move slower by ram and inflatable manufacturers. The lack or presence of a leading edge/ram cells is really irrelevant in the small sizes since SLOWNESS is a virtue in these sizes. The things to look for in these sizes are luff curve, chord, aspect ration for aerodynamic handling.
I wonder if they designed my 10m X2 with your SLOW virtues in mind... what was i looking for again???

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:13 am

Quote: - Beginners find it easier to learn on them (ie LEI).

I use both LEI and foils (1120 ARC and 18G-ARC). Both types have pro's and cons. I'm teaching a mate to kitesurf and he prefers the stability of the ARC over the LEI (his own conclusion).

I had the same opinion when I was learning as I found the LEI less stable than the ARC.

He has also had much more success relaunching the ARC then the LEI.

Whatever gets you going ....

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:40 am

whatever floats your boat,
tickles your pickle

anyone know any more...?

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:11 am

Easer to set up and pack up???

I know that I am always first on the water with my FS kites while LEI guys are pumping. Which is not all bad though, because it gives a bit of warm-up.

I also know that I am the first one pouring coffe for me and all LEI guys while they are still disconnecting bars and squeezing air out of bladders. And lay my kites nicely in the car while they are stuffing theirs...

But, I shall also say that I fly them both, about 50/50 and I like them both.

I also fly aircraft and when it comes to aerodynamics, which this thread is about, I can just say that I am looking forward to fly the firs aircraft with wings looking like LEI kites... Strange that they don't look like that now since that design is so superior the common wing shape.

Sean

anthonyd
Frequent Poster
Gear: North Kites

Postby anthonyd » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:12 am

People - ignore pump me up. Look at his profile he is nothing more than a foil troll. Has never posted anything usefull or insightfull, only trolling posts.

Toby, can you please close this thread too??

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:35 am

if you discuss on facts there is no reason to close it ! I will follow the discussion and if you guys can't control yourself, I will act accordingly :wink:

Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”