Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiteboarding.de Testing - What a load of crap!

forum for kitesurfers

Kiteboarding.de Testing - What a load of crap!

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:30 am

Hi,

Some time ago I met some testers from Kiteboarding.de in Cabarete testing 2003 equipment.

Some of these guys told me some scary information over a drink:

No matter what they think as testers, the brand with the biggest advertising budget or the most friends in the mag will get the best results. It might be the best equipment but DO NOT take that for granted.

The testers was quite upset about this and if it's true it sucks big time for the consumers that have not yet discovered this forum.

Over and out!

Total Anonymus
(Not risking to get a punch in the face next time I meet them on the beach!)

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:47 pm

just imagine:

kitebrand xy has 3 whole pages' ads in a mag, thus, paying a major part of the editor's income.
the same brand sends a piece of crap-kite over for testing.
now, what will xy think if mr. editor writes that the kite is a piece of crap?

i got no proof of nothing, but common sense already told me that mags are not free to tell their true full opinion on tests.

Brenho
Medium Poster

Postby Brenho » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:00 pm

I subscribe to that.
Unfortunatly that is the reallity and we all have to live with it.
They, however, pass us some messages betwen the lines.
If you read the whole articles and not just the conclusion part (where they only focus on the good points) you can extract some information.
If you take look they removed the comparision tests. I wonder why? Maybe, just maybe, because text is more subjective?
BUT WHAT WE CONSUMERS WANT ARE THE SIDE-BY-SIDE-COMPARE-THIS-IS-THE-BEST-THAT-IS-THE-WORST!!

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:01 pm

that's life! look at the auto industry as an example. the advertiser who spends the most on advertising promotions sells the most cars. I don't remember ever seeing a Mercedes advertised on the tube or ever seeing one discounted in the news paper. but we all know that they are probably the best car made. they don't need to spend the advertising dollars because of their customer satisfaction with the product. word of mouth travels. Same with the kites. look at the Peter lynn ARC's. no advertising at all untill this past year. but it looks like the arc fliers are having a good time and only spending half as much money on their kites.

kite tests

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:46 am

I wonder how many people will continue buying the mag if they can't trust the tests. This is a very short term view und will lead to distrust to the mag.

I myself (a novice) intend to buy my first kite soon and I wanted to wait for the next release of the mag and the kite tests as a help for my decision.

In this case it's no need for that and I can buy the kite which color matches best to my girlfriend's lipstick :-?

On the other hand, if the a company wants to place it's ads they do not have too many opportunities and each ad helps selling, anyway which mag. So in their own interest they will place them in ANY mag on the market however the testresults are.

If the money flows on other ways it would be bad corruption - don't let us believe this.

Hang loose -

Peter

kGreg
Medium Poster

Postby kGreg » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:25 pm

Probably there is some truth in that, BUT, I wouldn't say it's completely true.

Just to give you an example as a reader of that mag:
Wipika was advertising a lot, while Takoon was advertising almost nothing. In the tests the Takoons were rated definitely better than the Wipikas.

Once they listed some bad things about the Wipika eclipse board (which parts of it would fall apart, etc.), and when my friend received tha board, he had exactly the same problems that were described in the mag.

All this although Wipika is one of the big advertisers of the mag.

Of course the test results should always be treated carefully, with sceptisism. But I also think that the test results of Kiteboarding.de are closer to reality than the test results of any other mag around. I am also getting the UK kitesurf mag, where you can really read lots of BS in the tests.

I am still sceptical, but I think that the german mag is the best around.

Regards,
kGreg

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wetstuff » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:57 pm

Are you the editor from the American magazine? It's pretty cowardly to hide as anon and ambush them....but I never heard the conversation you said you had. ...was it with the tall guy with the light blue rash shirt?

I was there for a week at the same time. I didn't talk with the magazine crew as you did - they seemed pretty busy with all the kites and boards they were dealing with.

Early in the morning they were on the lawn in groups going over bars, releases and kite details, then as soon as the wind came up - kites were in the air.

If they had preconceived results they were good at hiding it. It seems that almost everybody there was flying at least four kites a day and switching boards all the time.

I was also there last year when the tested the PL F12 - it simply failied to come back off the water. PL was a full page advertiser. No F12 results appeared in the test issue. You'd think, if they were easily bought, they would have talked about other features of this kite and not mentioned that PL makes water-stickers.

......no matter: I dropped my sub to the US magazine and pay twice to get kite-boarding.de even though I don't have a clue what "Vervandlungskunstler" and similar words mean. (it sure would be helpful if they had one of those english/french/spanish inserts for their feature articles....) Even the UK magazine is tonnes (tons for us) better than the US magazine...also at twice the price. Vote with your checkbook.

jim

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:48 pm

the best results you get only when you test gear yourself.
Therefore I wanted to do the testival in Egypt.

Now try to test the gear of interest for you at other testivals and let us know, how you liked it. Everytime you test some new gear, you should post it on the "Review" forum for others to read and get your opinion about a product.

Whoever can come to the testival in North Italy, Lignano, should do so and test the latest gear.

More infos here:
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7602

Greets
Toby

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: BEST TS, Best Nemesis HP, Kahoona and Roca.
Brand Affiliation: used to be BestKiteboarding.com

Postby sq225917 » Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:44 pm

magazines are there to make a profit, kite companies are there to make a profit....

go figure.

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:10 pm

kGreg wrote:Probably there is some truth in that, BUT, I wouldn't say it's completely true.

Just to give you an example as a reader of that mag:
Wipika was advertising a lot, while Takoon was advertising almost nothing. In the tests the Takoons were rated definitely better than the Wipikas.
neither wipka nor takoon advertise in german mags, that's the job of the importer.
and in that case, it's the same company.

trusting tests in mags, especially in something like kitesurfing where you can't simply run a fixed testing-scheme to determine solid values that give you an impression of how good / how bad something is, is a difficult task.
for sure, no editor can really bash crap equipment provided by a good 'customer' (buyer of their ad-space), that's the job of internet-newsgroups ;)
IMO the real info is on the www, but i don't have a terminal on my crapper ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”