Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

OVERPOWERED jumping question?

forum for kitesurfers

OVERPOWERED jumping question?

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:15 pm

OK, I was riding my 17m fuel and the wind picked up to 18 gusting to 25. pretty powered for me. I was wondering when I have the kite low and SLOWLY bring it up to set up for a jump I sometimes get pulled downwind and have to either fly under it and start over or TRY to edge like crazy to get the kite under control. Should I bring it up quickly to 11 oclock to set up for a jump and then quickly jump. It just seems as soon as the kite rises I can't hold an edge in these conditions. However, when I could the jumps were awesome so I'd like to be able to ride better in these conditions. any help much appreciated.
J

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:37 pm

You answered your own question. Its all about holding edge. A smaller board twin tip or wake.

Go big.

P

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:43 pm

I did? The holding an edge part is my problem when the kite is brought up in preparation for the jump. Is it just a gotta be quicker thing? I have a smaller twin tip I wish I'd had yesterday. I'll try that and see if it helps. but I see some pros ride WAY over powered with medium boards and they don't get pulled downwind? What's the technique? How do you get the kite up to 11 without loosing the edge in over conditions? thanks again,
J

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:49 pm

don't get the kite to 11 and prepare. be quick.
that overpowered with the fuel, just load the kite at nine and smash it to twelve, not further back.

then feel how gravity quickly looses the battle.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:40 pm

9-12 eh? hmmm. ok, I'll try it low to high. Thanks,
J

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:16 pm

Be careful with the low to high advice! Its easy when you start low
to bring the kite across the power zone instead of up to 12. If you
do this, you will still get big air, but the kite can fly behind you resulting
in gravity winning the battle, i.e. you will drop like a stone and the
kite will shoot back across the powerzone. This can be very painful.
STill recovering from one of these from last weekend.

LB

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:45 pm

Now I'm confused. I've had similar problems as the original poster.

When you say 9, do you mean straight out? I thought the lower you have it the more you go downwind on your jump ( landing fast and hard). The higher you have it the more straight up you go (which you can land and stall out). I always heard the ideal is somewhere in between, and it varies depending upon wind strength. My jumps are no where near predictable, there may be something I am missing. I would have thought having the kite real low to start would not be a good thing.

You guys who rock at this, please clarify. You make it look so easy.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:14 pm

Ok, I tried it today. That was some bad advice. It results in a low fast jump!! Anyone else have any ideas?
J

Buzzlightyear
Rare Poster

Postby Buzzlightyear » Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:30 pm

so do a raley :lol:

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:21 pm

on the slingshot kite (203 fuel) i had the best results with the mehod described above.

i start having the kite rather low, slighly below 45 degrees,
going at medium speed and wait for the next gust.
then i send the kite up as hard as possible, straight to zenith.
the tricky part is to keep the edge and prevent the kite from flying too deep through the powerzone. i achieve that by bearing off a little.
when the kite reaches zenith, i edge hard again and pop the board as hard as possible, oversheeting the kite in that moment by a hard pull on the bar. when the lifting phase is nealy over i sheet out a bit to get the kite going again and have a gentle pull on my front hand.
when i appoach the water again (the kite should be still around 12 o clock, slightly turned into the direction one travels), i slowly increase the pull on the forward hand and in the last moment bevor landing, i totally sheet out again, yanking on the forward hand to get the kite down.

Return to “Kitesurfing”