forum for kitesurfers

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

weird weather - cornwall

Postby kjorn » Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:57 am

Squalls.

My brother put up a 11.8 airblast and walked down the beach at hayle, the wind dropped and all the kites fell out of the sky. Then the wind picked back up, so I grabbed the airblast and asked my bro to launch it, as he started the wind picked up and he and I watched each other.

He eventually put the kite down and sanded it a little and we watched everyone else. I'd reckon it picked up to a good 20mph, then 25mph. I ran and grabbed a 12m AeroII that dragged a newbie like crazy over the water.

The wind carried on picking up. No break in the clouds, no visible sign of what was going on. Eventually a couple of 7m's and 6m's were up and powered up ok (the guys on 140 wake boards)

That was over about 4-5 minutes.

Strange. No clue as to what happened or why. Hard to look out for that kinda thing.

john.e.boy

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: weird weather - cornwall

Postby RickI » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:19 pm

kjorn wrote:Squalls.

My brother put up a 11.8 airblast and walked down the beach at hayle, the wind dropped and all the kites fell out of the sky. Then the wind picked back up, so I grabbed the airblast and asked my bro to launch it, as he started the wind picked up and he and I watched each other.

He eventually put the kite down and sanded it a little and we watched everyone else. I'd reckon it picked up to a good 20mph, then 25mph. I ran and grabbed a 12m AeroII that dragged a newbie like crazy over the water.

The wind carried on picking up. No break in the clouds, no visible sign of what was going on. Eventually a couple of 7m's and 6m's were up and powered up ok (the guys on 140 wake boards)

That was over about 4-5 minutes.

Strange. No clue as to what happened or why. Hard to look out for that kinda thing.

john.e.boy
Sometimes you just can't tell by looking at conditions, particularly if things are overcast. It is good at that point to rely upon color radar on TV or the Internet. I have found only one site and not a particularly good one either with coverage in the UK. I can't help but think that there must be better sites. Unstable, gusty weather can really turn your day upside down and turn you off the water for a good long time if things don't go smoothly.

Some ideas about weather planning in the UK for kiteboarding appear in:

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7685

Suggestions about other sites and local weather phenomena are welcome.

Return to “Kitesurfing”