Cleaning WETSUITS??

forum for kitesurfers

Petro9
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Cleaning WETSUITS??

Postby Petro9 » Thu May 01, 2003 10:22 pm

Ok so this is a little off the topic from K-boarding, but just curious as to what all use to clean their wetsuits?
I have used in the past some special wetsuit cleaning soap, but people have told me that I could use regular hairshampoo or even a little dish soap??? :?: :?:

Protos
Frequent Poster

Postby Protos » Thu May 01, 2003 10:34 pm

I usually just put my wetsuit back on the next time I go kiting, and after a few hours of jumping, splashing, dragging around the water it's clean as a whistle! :thumb:

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: BEST TS, Best Nemesis HP, Kahoona and Roca.
Brand Affiliation: used to be BestKiteboarding.com

Postby sq225917 » Thu May 01, 2003 10:37 pm

personally i prefer to wash mine out with a mixture of luke warm piss and freezing cold sea water. :thumb:

Protos
Frequent Poster

Postby Protos » Thu May 01, 2003 10:43 pm

Ah yes, the ole "internal heat boost" is a major benefit of a wetsuit over a drysuit.

What's this "soap" stuff that folks are talking about anyways?

Under NO circumstances ever use/borrow/rent/buy/come into close contact with a second hand wetsuit!

anthonyd
Frequent Poster
Gear: North Kites

Postby anthonyd » Fri May 02, 2003 1:12 am

sq225917 wrote:personally i prefer to wash mine out with a mixture of luke warm piss and freezing cold sea water. :thumb:
Thats reall good coming from a brit.

You guys consider that your weekly bath as well?? :D

Postby Guest » Fri May 02, 2003 2:02 am

Fresh water is the only thing needed to remove abrasive sand and salt that cause rash :thumb: this will dramatically preserve the life of your suit, never in 20 years of surfing heard or seen any one using a soap product to clean their wetty

Postby Guest » Fri May 02, 2003 2:22 am

Often times I don't take off my wetsuit but rather drive on it for 15 mins and take a hot shower with it........it gets pretty good this way.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri May 02, 2003 7:37 am

I just get under the shower in it to wash it outside then take it off and rinse it inside.
This is good for many sessions, every once in a while if it smells a bit I'll wash it with the same shower soap i use on the rest of me.
I try to avoid pissing in my wettie, I don't really want to wear a wet suit full of piss for hours and if you do even once this will get it stinking in no time obviously but sometimes you just gotta go, you can also land your kite and go behind a bush, (when are they gonna invent wetsuits with flies??), or in a shorty you can stick yer dick down one leg and relieve yourself that way, while in the water perhaps and not while jumping. Actualy it's a bad idea to piss in your wetsuit in cold weather because although it feels warm, you're actually losing body heat to the water, it's warm liquid leaving your body.
One thing that can stink a lot is booties, I find that a weak solution of bleach/soap when they smell will kill all the bacteria producing the smell, don't leave it in the boot for more than the time it takes to slosh it around rinse it out, wash it out several times. This will probably shorten the life of the rubber/neoprene a bit btw and I wouldn't do it with a wettie but it stops the ladies avoiding you like the plague, unless they have another reason for doing that of course.
:wink:

psa
Medium Poster

Postby psa » Sun May 04, 2003 7:39 am

Wetsuits and boots will finally stink like old rotten socks. Washing with some shampoo or equal may help a bit, but I have not used them for years, because they will stink anyhow. I just rinse the boots and suit with fresh water. My friend never rinses his stuff and his suit and boots stink 10-times worse or should I say "better" than mine.

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Sun May 04, 2003 11:22 am

I'm down for the rinse in the shower, afterwards...works fine so far. I also recommend this for wetsuit cleansing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”