Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

the latest

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Johnpenxa
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

the latest

Postby Johnpenxa » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:10 pm

I’ve been building kiteboards since my start in the sport, 1999. Back in the day, there were very few decent choices for borads, so I built. I have 50+ boards on the water to date with a 0% “snappageâ€

kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kjelleren » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:10 pm

Nice work. Your deck weight is impressive.

Johnpenxa

Postby Johnpenxa » Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:53 pm

Thanks.

An insider's little secret.

The squeegeeing that has the greatest impact on producing an evenly wetted out laminate with minimum pinholes (air left in the laminate as it enters cure) comes after the board is in the bag and vacuum has been pulled. It’s amazing how time spend here can and will take minutes and hours out of your final sanding stages.

btw, I've gone lighter but wasn't all that stoked with the resulting flex... or lack there of

cheers

john penxa

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:47 pm

very nifty board John, coll styling and aero shape.

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:24 am

John, what do you use for your breather, peelply and bag?

I think maybe my breather material might be too thick and uneven for squeeging to work. I am using 4oz polyester batting.

I don't get any bubbles but there is the ocassional wrinkle that needs to be sanded. If it was possible to squeegee the bag down smoothly I think maybe I could eliminate that.

Trent

Johnpenxa wrote:
The squeegeeing that has the greatest impact on producing an evenly wetted out laminate with minimum pinholes (air left in the laminate as it enters cure) comes after the board is in the bag and vacuum has been pulled. It’s amazing how time spend here can and will take minutes and hours out of your final sanding stages.

Return to “Gear Builders”