Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

@ Peter gold.

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:54 pm

hi pete, hows life ?

I thought i should let you know that I'm persevering with the method from boardbuilding. The first, as you know, was a little mutilated by the router, and came out not very good.

So off I went and thought for ages and came to the conclusion that the ply wood method is better. So I got the cedar and started again.

I'm sitting in front of my shape, cut outline out. its 14mm thick, i went 4mm 6mm 4mm and weighs too much. its 2.6 kilos before wetting out.

BUT - It looks beautiful, i am totally stoked and wanna build more. But the cedar went up so the core has cost me £60 UK only for the strips alone : (

So, tonight I will go home and shape the rails. Then add the tips, then the inserts and the glass and see whazt weight she comes out at.

I recall eddy C or someone cutting shapes out of the middle wood layer, is that a good way to keep the weight doon ?

Cheers and hope your doin well.

Ron.

pjgold123
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pjgold123 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:24 am

Hi
All is well flat out with boards at the moment.
Yes you can drill a whole lots of holes in the middle layer or if you go for 2 layers then you can router slots half way through on each side before you glue it together.
It is hard to work out how much wieght you save with this method and you get a problem with filling the holes with glue.
Having said that here's 2 more options,
1) sand/plain or cut 1mm of the bottom and deck going by the weight of 2.6kg that you said it should take off 400g bringing it down to 2.2kg.
2)There is no reason that the deck has to be flat cut some rebates 5 to 7mm deep in the low stress areas, tips, near the ends a couple of grab groves between your feet (check Wave tray), one under the handle, you get the idea.

I have a new method under vacuum at the moment I'll let you know how it works out, it is much quicker.

Cheers
Pete.

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:04 am

cheers pete - will try either the plane method or the grooves.

be interested to hear bout the new process.

have to catch up soon.

Cheers.

Ron.

Return to “Gear Builders”