All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:27 pm 
i-... can you explain-me the rail! you said you use polycarbonate. what is it???? it´s works with the epoxy???

tks 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:25 pm 
Rare Poster

Polycarbonate is a clear plastic used to make shatterproof windows, lightweight eyeglass lenses, and such. General Electric makes this stuff and sells it as Lexan.

Polycarbonate gets its name from the carbonate groups in its backbone chain. We call it polycarbonate of bisphenol A because it is made from bisphenol A and phosgene.

If you sand it, it would work great with carbon and epoxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:21 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hey Boards look very nice :D
I am interested in building some boards for personal use.How do yours stand up to abuse?Can you estimate cost?
Also,how did you make them..materials and steps?
I went to this link http://www.kiteboardbuilder.com but it seems more complicated.Please explain how you built,and assume I know nothing about building boards,which I dont!! :o
thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:56 am 
Rare Poster

Hi.
First of all if you never built a board you will probably have to build a couple of boards before you are satisfied. If you are going to build boards to save money then it is cheaper to buy new boards. I am now making boards for aprox 200 usd ,using only the best materials. If you will do it for fun I would say go for it. if not - kite instead.

My first boards did not work very well. I have changed materials and have been testing them hard . now I cant damage them anymore. and most important i can make them the way i want.

kiteboardbuilder.com is a nice guide, but you need to find out how it works for you, that means making boards and fail.

Steps

+ Make a model of thinn plywood, use much time on this to make it right. draw down fin positions, and straps etc.

+ You need a rocker table. This is important on boards upwind ability and speed

+ shape the foam and inlay inserts and fin plates. glue the rail on( if using plastic rails)

+ Laminate bottom,(advanced method is vacum)(easy is pressure) cut excess carbon

+ Laminate top, sand careful, cut excess carbon

+ paint

+ use your model of thinn plywood to find the inserts and fin positions

And by the way, my 120/38 is my favourite board, using it in all cond.

Good luck :thumb:

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2