Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sandals as footstraps on homemade plywood board?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Invertedflyby
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sandals as footstraps on homemade plywood board?

Postby Invertedflyby » Fri May 14, 2004 2:22 am

I'm building my first board and was thinking of different ideas for it when I glanced into my closet and noticed my sandals I bought for $10 from Kmart about 4 years ago. :idea: I use them to wakeskate with right now. Has anyone done this? They would be easier to get into than bindings and hold your feet better than staps and they are comfortable.

The only downside I can see is I imagine they are a little heavier than straps, and they will hold your feet in in a crash unlike a strap but not provide the ankle support that a binding would.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

lemur
Medium Poster

Postby lemur » Fri May 14, 2004 7:33 am

I think it was on Zeroprestige site where they glued a pair of large sandals to board and then screwed some webbing over the instep to reinforce...Im gonna give it a try on my next board(s)

p.bay

Postby p.bay » Fri May 14, 2004 6:28 pm

make sure you use something that has a lot of lateral give. I used to use sandals on my old plywood deck and I nearly ripped my ankle off.

Thing to think about is that kite bindings have big soft rounded ends, that helps release your foot when pulled from ANY angle. Sandals are designed to grip your foot and only release it when the foot it withdrawn 'backwards' from the sandal.

I was speaking with Saul from the zeroprestige site and he said that its extremely difficult to get bindings right. I've since learned he's right. I'd say its easier to build a board than make a good pair of bindings. They dont look like much but after many attempts (and I try to build everything) I have given up and buy the real deal - ITS WORTH IT.

Invertedflyby
Rare Poster

Postby Invertedflyby » Mon May 17, 2004 6:37 am

I posted this in here and in the main forum and should've only done it in one spot, sorry. I've replied in the main forum.

Return to “Gear Builders”