slav
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A board shape for choppy water and gusty wind

Postby slav » Fri May 28, 2004 12:11 pm

Hi everyone
Can somebody tell me what are the best board dimensions (length,width,tip width,tip shape) for choppy water and gusty wind (i weigh 63kg./139lbs.) :?:
and also what is the difference between rounded and square tips :?:

thanks,Slava :D

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Fri May 28, 2004 2:44 pm

Square tips have more bite and grip at the tail but are more likely to catch at the nose. With squre tips you have to pay a little more attention to the board riding in chop. A really square outline is going to bounce more going over chop, but will go upwind more easily in smoother conditions. You end up having to make a compromise to get performance that is best for you.

Without knowing how much wind you want to ride in, If I were making you a board I would suggest 140-150cm long, 36-38cm wide, 2.4cm rocker, 4mm bottom concave, thin but soft rails, rounded outline, maybe 30cm at the tips. If you live somewhere windy you would want the board on the narrow side, wider if you need to get going in light wind often.

The boards I make are thin and moderately flexible, so you can get away with a wider board in powered conditions, the width helps a lot in the lulls/ lightwind. With a stiff board I think you would want narrower.

This is not "the best" shape, just one that I think would work well for you. There is no best shape. It depends on how you ride and what you expect the board to be able to do.

slav
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slav » Fri May 28, 2004 10:00 pm

i ride the board in 15-25 kts.
and thx for the help. :thumb:

Return to “Gear Builders”