Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Francis
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Flip tips

Postby Francis » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:30 am

I made a fiberglass lightwind board 150cm long and 44 cm wide. There is no rocker except the tips are flipped up 1.5 cm for about 15 cm. The tips are fairly wide 38 cm with rounded corners.
The board works great in lightwinds. I can ride and stay upwind in 10mph using a 19.5M Contra kite. I weigh 165 lbs.
The problem I have is that the corner of the board has a tendancy to catch chopp and it is really easy to submerge the board in transitions.
I would like know if anyone has experience this and have any ideas on how to fix it.
One thought is to make the tips narrower to eliminate the part of the corner that digs in.
I can also increase the flip tip angle.
Another is to curl up the corners of the board (convex shape at the tips) to help the board slide over chop better. I noticed that since I ride this board fairly flat (in light winds), the board is always sliding so the corner of the board ends up being the front of the board.
Any input would be appreciated.
:bye:

Elia
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Elia » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:15 am

it sounds like you didn't taper the tips enough. At 44 wide and a 19.5 kite at your weight you should be able to stay up wind in like 6 knts.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:35 am

you might consider flowreleases too... altough it doesn't solve diving and catching...

Do you have squared tips or rounded? Rounded tips solved my problem...

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:14 pm

I think with with a more curvier tip outline and some nose rocker should help out from catching the edge :thumb:

Return to “Gear Builders”