Restoring a used board

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Germwise
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Restoring a used board

Postby Germwise » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:34 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so first of all let me start by saying that I am a total noob. This applies for both kitesurfing itself as well as kiteboard shaping/repair. I got the info on how to do this from Trent Hink, maker of anomaly boards who was kind enough to write me some directions for a quick restore of my board.

I purchased a used 150 x 39 cm anomaly board from forum classifieds. I got it and while it was still in great condition, the signs of wear and tear were definetely there.

Along one of the edges there was a sliver of exposed wood. On one of the ends there was a small chip of wood that had been epoxied and the bottom was covered in very small dings and scratches.

While I could have probably kept riding and not known the difference, I am somewhat of a perfectionist. I spent a lot of time building flyable model airplanes and attention to detail made the difference between a good plane and an incredible one. So I got to work. I went to homedepot and purchased a spray can of exterior grade polyurethane and some scotch bright pad of relatively high grit.

After taking off the handle, straps and fines, I turned the board upside down and lightly sanded the entire surface of the bottom of my board, I did it just to rough up the coat, and not to remove any previous coats. The board had a nice green paintjob underneath and I didn't want to ruin it. I then cleaned the board with my air compressor by shooting air every which way and then wiped it clean with a moist rag.

I let the board dry a minute or two and then began applying even strokes of paint across the bottom. Every time I made a pass through the entire board, I changed the direction of my spray to create a type of mesh and ensure I didn't miss any spots. I gave the board a good 3 coats with the spray can with about 2 hours in between each coat as the can instructed. I put a little extra around the exposed wood and around the spintered end.

I then waited 24 hours and a spread some microfinish rubbing compound I had lying around from polishing some scuffs on my car. (if not trent the board shaper suggested a high grit scotch bright pad.) I applied it and then buffed the board using my screw driver and a circular buff thing I sort of found on a shelf. I did this lightly and only for a few seconds moving accross the board trying to give the board a shine.

I also decided to do one layer on the top of the board to give it the shine I had on the bottom.

Finally, just for shits and giggles I lightly sanded my fins and painted them black to go with the green board.

Besides the rubbing compound and the black paint which I had in my garage, the polyurethane and scotch bright pad costed me 10 bucks and change.

I now feel a TREMENDOUS difference on my board. I haven't taken it out riding yet but it feels SO much smoother which not only makes it look new, but also will give it a smoother ride in the water.

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures yet, I'll get some up if the wind stops blowing and I'm stuck inside next week. I just thought I'd throw this idea out there for all of you with boards with small dings and scratches that you want to get rid of. With boards costing upwards of 500 bucks, 10 bucks for almost a full restoration is an increcible deal.

By the way, I got to try it out and even though I still totally suck at kitesurfing, the board was smooth as hell

Return to “Gear Builders”